Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I never understood - why is it "north-west corner" of some intersection, and not "north-western"? Generally, when should I use one and when - the other?

And what's "north-westerly"? As of wind, for instance?

cereal_chick

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I don't think it is supposed to be "north-west corner". Why? Because I have a hunch it's not. I don't know for sure though, but either way you would be understood regardless of which one you said/wrote.

"North-westerly" refers to a direction of motion, and is most often used for wind direction.

[Not a teacher]

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
North West(ern) refers to location (either is OK in AmE). North Westerly refers to direction.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Northwest corner" is fine by me. Saying "northwestern corner" sounds odd.

It seems to me that directional words are used in their plain form as adjectives usually. Where I work we have a north gate and a south gate. Not a northern gate and southern gate.

Parking at the hockey arena in town is at the east lot, north lot, or south lot.

catbert

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Northwest corner" is fine by me. Saying "northwestern corner" sounds odd.

It seems to me that directional words are used in their plain form as adjectives usually. Where I work we have a north gate and a south gate. Not a northern gate and southern gate.

Parking at the hockey arena in town is at the east lot, north lot, or south lot.

It's just that it seems to me the word itself would indicate a general direction, as in compass point ("we are going east"), whereas the "ern" suffix would indicate possession.

I also don't understand the "due" thing, as in "three miles due south". Why would you add "due"? Why not just say "south"?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's just that it seems to me the word itself would indicate a general direction, as in compass point ("we are going east"), whereas the "ern" suffix would indicate possession.

I also don't understand the "due" thing, as in "three miles due south". Why would you add "due"? Why not just say "south"?

I'm just telling you what I see used. It is the north gate, not the northern gate.

The "due" in "due south" means exactly south. Not off by a degree or two, but truly south. It's not strictly necessary in most cases. Just consider it an idiomatic phrase.

catbert

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm just telling you what I see used. It is the north gate, not the northern gate.

Oh, I realize that's how people say it :), I was just hoping for more of an explanation as to why.

catbert

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Status
Not open for further replies.