1. REO

Unhappy What does "the word" mean? (PARTⅡ)

Thank you very much for answering me, Casiopea, Mehmetcalimli, and tdol.
    It's my fault not to give you the sentence above. I'm sorry....
    Again, about "The word" in the first line in the third paragraph, what do you think "the word" imples? I'd like to know your opinions. PLEASE!

The desire to know what is happening, which is present in all of us, has been transferred from the complicated world of real life to the stripped-down, easy-to-understand issues of a firemanís or a policemanís or a fighter pilotís or a nurseís life. We watch them facing real fires, real criminals, real targets, real emergencies, and we feel we have seen the real world. The complexity of real life is varnished over and smoothed down yet again. It ceases to be real life at all; itís reality as entertainment, easily digested, lacking in roughage. You know the outcome before you switch the programme on.
     Itís infotainment: empty, silly, meaningless perhaps, but itís what focus groups say they like. What else can they say, when they donít have anything better to watch?
     The word may sound antiquated, Reithian,*3 imperialist, arrogant in our ears, and it is rarely used nowadays; but the broadcasters in any society have a duty to fulfil. They have access to all the information in the world, and it is their duty to pass it on faithfully to their audiences. But television executives have grown up in an environment where it is acceptable to mould reality.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: What does "the word" mean? (PARTⅡ)

I think the word is 'duty'- the duty of broadcasters to pass on information not shape it.