Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I came across such sentences in my textbook: THE YOUNG GREEN CONSUMER GUIDE. FROM FELT TIPS TO RUBBISH TIPS. DISCOVER HOW YOU CAN HELP SAVE THE EARTH.
I feel puzzled about "felt tips" and "rubbish tips". What do they mean? What does"felt" here mean? Does"tip" here mean advice? Thanks for your replies!

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Marker pen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A "felt tip" is a type of writing instrument.

"Rubbish tips" I assume refers to hints and advice about how to reduce or reuse garbage.

It's playing on two different meanings of "tip."

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
I feel puzzled about "felt tips" and "rubbish tips". What do they mean? What does"felt" here mean?

A "felt tip" is a felt tip (or felt-tipped) pen or marker, where the ink flows through a point made of felt, a kind of fibrous material.
A "rubbish tip" is a large open area of ground where rubbish (garbage, trash) is dumped/tipped.
As SoothingDave says, "rubbish tips" may be playing on the double meaning.

Below: felt tips and a rubbish tip.

felt tips.jpg
rubbish tip.jpg

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A "rubbish tip" is a large open area of ground where rubbish (garbage, trash) is dumped/tipped.

That's a new one for me. It's a garbage dump in AmE. (Or "landfill" in the euphemism.)

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
That's a new one for me. It's a garbage dump in AmE. (Or "landfill" in the euphemism.)

I think "rubbish dump" might have gained some ground in recent years, but in Aust/NZ it's pretty much "rubbish tip" or just "the tip". Local councils do like the "landfill" option as well.

roseriver1012

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Then is it suggesting that a felt-tip pen is not environmental-friendly, like rubbish tips?

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
THE YOUNG GREEN CONSUMER GUIDE. FROM FELT TIPS TO RUBBISH TIPS. DISCOVER HOW YOU CAN HELP SAVE THE EARTH.

This seems to be a headline or book title which suggests that the article/book covers many different topics, including felt tips and rubbish tips. It is not necessarily making a specific link between the two.
I do know that there is a marker called the Enviroliner that is said to be made from 90% recycled material, so perhaps this is discussed in the article/book.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Then is it suggesting that a felt-tip pen is not environmental-friendly, like rubbish tips?

We don't know. You have to keep reading. I can't say from this sentence what felt tips have to do with "saving the earth."

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I always wondered why waste disposal had "tipping fees" and now I know. Thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.