Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
Hi! I've just read a citation in English. "Something
inside this heart has died,you're in ruins."
The person who has written it, is not English. Could you tell me if it is grammarly? [FONT='lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]Because I'm not sure whether using 'Present Perfect' and the word order is correct in this case.
Thanks a lot.
[/FONT]

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's a bit over-dramatic for some tastes, but not ungrammarly (if there is such a word ;-))

b

suzie0726

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
Sorry, but I don't understand it. Could you write down how to say that citation in English? Thank you,Bob!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Sorry, but I don't understand it. Could you write down how to say that citation in English? Thank you,Bob!

We don't need to "say it in English". It's already in English and as Bob said, there's nothing wrong with grammatically. He just said it is a little bit over-dramatic.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Wouldn't it be more grammatical with a semicolon rather than a comma?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Wouldn't it be more grammatical with a semicolon rather than a comma?

Yes, or some more emphatic stop ('-' or a new sentence). I was making allowances for 'spoken grammar';-) (That's the kind interpretation; the more acerbic interpretation would be that I got it wrong). Here's a commented version:

'Something in this heart has died.' Two possible interpretations of 'this'. Either the speaker is referring to his/her own heart (and is perhaps aping the words of Carole King's 'It's too late baby' although maybe she wasn't the first lyricist to cash in on the rhyme 'inside/died'). But in this case there has been a wider disturbance - and you have been hurt too. In the other interpretation, only you have been hurt. Something in the context - maybe a gesture - shows that the 'this' refers to your heart.

'You're in ruins' - You are seriously upset and unable to function in some way.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.