Differences in articulation between /əl/ (e.g. at the end of "financial") and /əʊ/?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thincat

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Differences in articulation between /əl/ (e.g. at the end of "financial") and /əʊ/?

Hello everybody,

As I am not a native English speaker, I find it a bit confusing between /əl/ (like "financial": fa ɪˈnæn. ʃəl) and /əʊ/.
Is there any difference in the position of tongue or roundness of lips etc. in pronouncing /əl/ and /əʊ/?
It seems that to my ears, pronouncing "financial" as /fa ɪˈnæn. ʃəʊ/ still sounds more or less the same as
/fa ɪˈnæn. ʃəl/.

Does it mean that /əl/ is equal to /əʊ/?

Actually, I have raised this question in the phonetics forum, but it seems that I did not explain my question well enough ...
So, please allow me to ask this question again and but in greater detail this time.

Thank you very much for your help!:)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Re: Differences in articulation between /əl/ (e.g. at the end of "financial") and /əʊ

Does it mean that /əl/ is equal to /əʊ/?

No- they're different sounds made in different ways- the /l/ at the end requires use of the tongue behind the teeth and the lips are not rounded in the way the are for /əʊ/. The two don't sound the same to my ears.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Re: Differences in articulation between /əl/ (e.g. at the end of "financial") and /əʊ

Yes, now that your question is clear, I can imagine that Chinese speakers might say '
/​
f
a ɪˈnæn. ʃo/ (swallowing the /l/) - see following post sound file.
/əʊ/ is a longer sound.

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

View attachment financial.MP3

This is my effort to make
/əʊ/ and /əl/ sound the same

Last edited:

thincat

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong

Thank you very much for all your replies. They really help me clarify my phonetic concepts.
I will appreciate a lot if you can listen to my voice recording on the word "financial"
/
faɪˈnænʃl/
to see if the /əl/ is pronounced in the right manner:
The mp3 is saved in SENDSPACE with "/file/q5ql07" at the end

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!:)

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

Thank you very much for all your replies. They really help me clarify my phonetic concepts.
I will appreciate a lot if you can listen to my voice recording on the word "financial"
/
faɪˈnænʃl/
to see if the /əl/ is pronounced in the right manner:
The mp3 is saved in SENDSPACE with "/file/q5ql07" at the end

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!:)
What's SENDSPACE? And how do I find your file?

thincat

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

Here is my file: Download rec0405-152934.mp3 from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way

I am sorry I did not have sufficient privileges to post a web link yesterday.
My mp3 file is sent to SENDSPACE.COM which provides free space for file uploading.
Thank you!
Yes, that sounds like the sound I was trying to demonstrate above as wrong. But it's close enough that it should be understood in the appropriate context. It is a dark 'l' at the end and I don't pronounce it much more than you do.
You could try saying "financially", then leaving off the 'y'.

thincat

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

I have tried to avoid the especial stress at the end and produce two recordings.
Can you help me see which one is better? Or both are acceptable?
recording 1 : Download 1.mp3 from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way
recording 2 : Download 2.mp3 from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way

Thank you!
In 2, you seem to be saying /
fa ɪˈnæn.tsə
l/. I can't hear any difference in the ending.
In any case, I think it's good enough. If you said "financial markets" or "I'm having financial problems", I'm sure you would be understood.

raindoctor

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Swahili
Home Country
Kenya
Current Location
United States

There is a phenomenon called /l/ vocalization. Usually, the dark /l/ (or velarized /l/) reaches the same position as the phoneme /o/. In vocalization, the tongue doesn't touch the alveolar ridge. In some dialects, /l/ vocalization is heavily used.
/əʊ/ is a particular way of realizing the diaphoneme /o/.

thincat

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong

In 2, you seem to be saying /
fa ɪˈnæn.tsə
l/. I can't hear any difference in the ending.
In any case, I think it's good enough. If you said "financial markets" or "I'm having financial problems", I'm sure you would be understood.

Thanks a lot.
I think I will keep up with the first one.
As for the second, actually, I was trying to imitate what I sometimes hear in Hong Kong. It seems that Hong Kong people at times like to pronounce /
ʃ
/ as /s/. But I think it's not quite an appropriate way of pronunciation, so I will follow the first one. :)

I'm With Stupid

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Vietnam

In response to the original point, it's also important to remember that in any diphthongs, your lips will move position. For /ƏU/ this means that you lips should start in the /Ə/ position and end in the /u/ position. As others have mentioned, with /Əl/ your lips don't move, but your tongue does.

Status
Not open for further replies.