Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Mel is asking Ray who is related to a car racer Gordon about his death, and he said "kissed the blue wave". Ray was a competitor in a car racing with the dead Gordon, and he is kind of suspected for his murder.
Is it a metaphor for death?

gw2-14
Mel- I want to talk about that night. Do you remember anything?
Ray- Like I could forget it. Am I happy Gordon kissed the blue wave? No. Am I happy it wasn't me? Yes.
Mel- What about the accident? People say that you ran Gordon off the track.
Ray- People can say whatever they want to say.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Yes, it's a euphemism for 'died'. I assume he drowned.

Rover

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
No, he died in a car racing.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
No, he died in a car race.

Right.

Has it anything to do with the blue flag?

[h=3]The blue flag[/h]A light blue flag, sometimes with a diagonal yellow, orange, or red stripe, informs a driver that a faster car is approaching and that the driver should move aside to allow one or more faster cars to pass. During a race, this would usually only be shown to a driver getting lapped, but during practice or qualifying it could be shown to any driver. In most series, the blue flag is not mandatory - drivers obey it only as a courtesy to their fellow racers. In other series, drivers get severely penalized for not yielding or for interfering with the leaders, including getting sent to the pits for the rest of the race. In Formula One, if the driver about to be lapped ignores three waved blue flags in a row, he is required to make a drive-through penalty.
(Wikipedia)

Rover

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Maybe it's related to the blue flags in the stadium, but the drama doesn't say further about that.

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am not familiar with "kissed the blue wave". Upon reading it, I assumed as Rover did, that he drowned.

I googled it. There are 9 results, 2 are this thread, 1 is someone asking what it means from tGW, and the rest are transcripts of this episode. I would skip learning this phrase - it doesn't mean anything. I think the writers take some liberties with this show that are not as clever as they think, Ladybug.

Status
Not open for further replies.