[Idiom] rise to one's feet/ they'd do/a little on the snug side/tugged at the buckle

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjfnrgka

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
thank you guys for helping me out
I have an example from kids book.here is
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
They were pale green with plastic buckles. The wheels were scuffled and so were the boots, but she hoped they'd do. She slipped her feet into the boots. Maybe they were a little on the snug side. She tugged at the buckle to lock one Rollerblade. It wouldn't shut.
"help!" Abby cried. "I can't get it shut!"
"I know how to do it," Eva said. "It's easy."
She kneeled next to Abby and pushed. The buckle clicked into place.
"Will you do the other one?" Abby asked.
"They're sticky sometimes," Eva told her. "you'll get used to it."
"Oh,yeah?" Abby said That was easy for Eva to say. She could get the best out of any ball, bat, or buckle. Equipment always cooperated with her.
Eva rose to her feet. She wore shiny new Rollerblades with an advanced brake system. As Abby watched, her SuperSib sailed down the path with quick, powerful movements. Eva looked like she had been born on Rollerblades!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i am very beginner. i am curious of all those expression. i am very glad to ask natives about practical usage of words.
1. they'd do: they should/could/would do. Which one is correct? in my first thought
-they could do: it seems to be okey. but in my language CAN is for ab/sth has personality,character. If a thing have a character(like AI, ET, pet robot, doll). you can say they can do. but a thing like Rollerblades, you can't say they can do. so i wonder if Abby especially give the Rollerblade a character in her mind out of intimacy.
-meaning of DO: i guess DO means 'work properly, work well, work enough' if it's correct. Why did they pick 'DO' instead of the latter?

2.a little on the snug side: i researched it online. it showed me shoes, saw chain and jacket related to tightening and loosening things, i found out it meaans a litte bit tight, and snug means comfort. so i guessed it means 'tight but tending to comfort me' is that correct?

3. tugged at the buckle to lock: tug means 'pull sth hard' so definitely Abby pulled buckle. but Eva pushed to lock it
could you explain the scene?

4.sticky: is it literally sticky? like bond, dryed coke, honey? or implying stiff, lack smoothness, be not greasy?

thank you

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1. "They would do," meaning that they would be suitable, would function, would be OK for the intended use. They maybe weren't hte most attractive or in the best condition, but she hoped they would do the job and allow her to skate.

2. Having shoes/boots that are too tight is not comfortable. They are a little too small for her feet, which is why she had trouble buckling them.

3. They were too small, so she had to pull the strap real hard to get it into position to mate with the buckle. Then there was apparently some trick to getting the two to mate,which Eva understood how to do.

4. I am not sure why the word "sticky" is used here. I think she is describing the function of the interlocking mechanism of the buckle.

rjfnrgka

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
1. "They would do," meaning that they would be suitable, would function, would be OK for the intended use. They maybe weren't hte most attractive or in the best condition, but she hoped they would do the job and allow her to skate.
what do you think the 'could' part that i mentioned?
2. Having shoes/boots that are too tight is not comfortable. They are a little too small for her feet, which is why she had trouble buckling them.
i see.. is there any difference between cozy and snug? (situation in usage, in feeling)
3. They were too small, so she had to pull the strap real hard to get it into position to mate with the buckle. Then there was apparently some trick to getting the two to mate,which Eva understood how to do.
i see...thank you
4. I am not sure why the word "sticky" is used here. I think she is describing the function of the interlocking mechanism of the buckle.
then you think the function can be sticky? what feeling that could be?

There was actually one more question which i couldn't type in time. rise to one's feet . Eva rose to her feet
In online dictionary(the free online dictionary for "to"), there was no matching definition for "to her feet"
how come it means 'stand up'? i looked up. still don't understand. i understand 'go school on foot', in that, you actually your body is on foot. upper position than foot.

i look forward your answering thank you

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1. It's not "could." I thought my answer that it means "would" would be sufficient.

2. "Cozy" is always pleasant. "Snug" is not, as I said. Boots that are too snug are bad. Being all snug in a blanket in front of a fire on a winter night is good.

4. If something is supposed to move past a latch, sliding it back and then have it spring lock into a locking position, then the mechanism could not be in the best working order and be "sticky." This seems the best understanding. You are supposed to grab the strap and place the part into the buckle. The buckle should then smoothly move to the side just far enough to allow the hoop on the strap to engage. Then a locking mechanism on the buckle should engage with the hoop on the strap.

If all that doesn't work as designed, then you could push the strap hoop down and the lock would not engage. the mechanism would be sticky.

5. "Rise to your feet" is simply to stand up. You rise, from your sitting or lying position, to your feet, a position where you are "on your feet," i.e. standing.

Status
Not open for further replies.