Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
South Korea
Hello teachers,

Here are some questions:
1. He was stopped each dozen yards by friends who wanted to congratulate him.
2. As we have finish the first lesson, now we will read the second one.
According to the answer sheet, the words which I have underlined are wrong. But I could not get those.
As for the first senrence, I think that "each" might be replaced by "every". Please tell me why if my guess is right.
As for the second sentence, I am totally confused! Because I often hear people say: "the second one please!" "the thrid one please" "the first one please". Will it go wrong when we use those kinds of sentence in writing?

Thank you in advance.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Welcome to Using English.

Yes, the first one should be "every dozen yards." I am trying to think of why "each" doesn't work and all I can think of is that it's just idiomatic and it sounds "right" to a native speaker to say "every." I hope that someone else will come along with a better answer.

The second one should be "the second one" just as you have written. However, there is a tense problem in the question itself: As we have finished. Also, the word order is more natural as "we will now read" instead of "now we will read" but that is just my opinion. The finish/finished is an error.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I can't add any logic to the fact that we use "every", not "each" here but we do the same in BrE.

He goes to France on holiday once every ten years.
There is a distance marker every two miles.
She stops for a cigarette every five minutes.
On the graph paper, please put an asterisk every five centimetres.

lycongvinhto

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
South Korea
Thank you all,
I have searched the difference between "each" and "every". It is really hard in using those words, I think it may require experiences a lot!.
As for the second sentence, regardless "finished", it was my mistake when typing :oops:. According to your feedback, I think the answer key sheet is wrong!
Anyway, thanks you all again.
Best wish.

Status
Not open for further replies.