Student or Learner
Native Language
Swedish
Home Country
Sweden
Current Location
Sweden
Hi people!

Quite a few of my students insist on using the progressive from when they write their essays.
There is, however, a tendency to overuse it, but in some cases I have difficulties deciding myself.
They often write-when they analyse a short story- " In her novel she is describing/showing/telling us/explaining why the main characters act the way they do". The way I look at it simple verb forms are preferred in all these cases, am I right.
How do I explain it to my students?

Kind regards
Nille

virus99

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Twi
Home Country
Bhutan
Current Location
Tuvalu
Not a teacher!

Only a thought. If they want to state a fact - simple form.
If they want to emphasise that the process of describing lasts for some time - progressive form.

But I agree with you. I don't think that using the progressive form here is appropriate.

Again: not a teacher!

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi people!

Quite a few of my students insist on using the progressive from when they write their essays.
There is, however, a tendency to overuse it, but in some cases I have difficulties deciding myself.
They often write-when they analyse a short story- " In her novel she is describing/showing/telling us/explaining why the main characters act the way they do". The way I look at it simple verb forms are preferred in all these cases, am I right.
How do I explain it to my students?

Kind regards
Nille
You can tell them that you don't like the progressive form in literary analyses, and that they will be marked down if they use it. This is quite apart from whether it is actually 'wrong'. You can explain that some people might accept it, but that you want them to get used to the far more common simple present tense in this situation.

nille12345

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Swedish
Home Country
Sweden
Current Location
Sweden
You can tell them that you don't like the progressive form in literary analyses, and that they will be marked down if they use it. This is quite apart from whether it is actually 'wrong'. You can explain that some people might accept it, but that you want them to get used to the far more common simple present tense in this situation.
Thanks for your answers.
So the progressive form is generally avoided in literary papers/more formal situations?
Does it make the text seem too informal then?
Nille

nille12345

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Swedish
Home Country
Sweden
Current Location
Sweden
Hi again!
I am marking essays now in which the students are asked to analyze a speech made by Omaba.
Many students write " Obama is speaking to all pupils and students across America"
Would you say that the progressive form is inappropriate here as well and that the simple present tense is to be preferred?

Would very much appreciate it if a native speaker could shed light on this matter, since it is a recurring problem to me.

Nille

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi again!
I am marking essays now in which the students are asked to analyze a speech made by Omaba.
Many students write " Obama is speaking to all pupils and students across America"
Would you say that the progressive form is inappropriate here as well and that the simple present tense is to be preferred?

Would very much appreciate it if a native speaker could shed light on this matter, since it is a recurring problem to me.

Nille
I would expect, "Obama was speaking ..." for a speech.
Books are thought of as still able to speak to people.

Status
Not open for further replies.