Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
United States
What is the cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, etc. in a sandwich called collectively? For example, I know that mushrooms, cheese, peperoni on a pizza are called toppings.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
They would be toppings in AmE.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
In BrE, a topping would not be covered by a second slice of bread- a filling would.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Even when they are between two sices of bread?

Yes. They're on top of the ham or hamburger or tuna salad or Italian meats or whatever the "meat" of the sandwich I'm buying is.

"Fillings" might be used with something totally enclosed, like a calzone. Even then, it wouldn't be weird to call them "toppings," since they are essentially the same choices as the toppings for a pizza. And you would normally buy a calzone from a pizza place.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Yes. They're on top of the ham or hamburger or tuna salad or Italian meats or whatever the "meat" of the sandwich I'm buying is.
Interesting idea. When I buy a BLT (Bacon, lettuce and tomato), I consider that there are three things in the sandwich, not bacon plus a topping. How about a cheese and tomato sandwich. Which is the topping now?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It would appear to be another of those differences between the variants. ;-)

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
IMO, we do not say "filling" for sandwiches because "filling" is what goes in pies. And by pies, I mean fruit pies, not some weird meat-filled thing.

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There's also condiments, but those are typically just sauces, like ketchup, mustard, or mayo.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There's also the folksy "fixings" term. I can't remember what hamburger chain gives you your burger with nothing but the meat (and cheese if ordered) and the bun. In the restaurant there is something like a salad bar, with the lettuce, onions, tomatoes, etc. which they call the "fixings bar."

I too consider a BLT to be a BLT. The other, for me, is a grilled cheese sandwhich with a tomato.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
IMO, we do not say "filling" for sandwiches because "filling" is what goes in pies. And by pies, I mean fruit pies, not some weird meat-filled thing.

What do you call (collectively) the mix of meat and gravy and onions etc that goes in a meat pie?

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What do you call (collectively) the mix of meat and gravy and onions etc that goes in a meat pie?

I can't speak for every American, but in my house growing up, the only "pies" were desserts. The only exception to this is a "potpie", which is always very small (single serving) and basically something you'd make for a child. I can't imagine a "grown-up" eating a potpie, unless it's some comfort food from their past. You won't find "meat pies" anywhere in a typical grocery store.

But to answer your question, I guess I'd reluctantly call it "filling", but I'd probably put air-quotes around it when I said it ;-)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I can't speak for every American, but in my house growing up, the only "pies" were desserts. The only exception to this is a "potpie", which is always very small (single serving) and basically something you'd make for a child. I can't imagine a "grown-up" eating a potpie, unless it's some comfort food from their past. You won't find "meat pies" anywhere in a typical grocery store.

But to answer your question, I guess I'd reluctantly call it "filling", but I'd probably put air-quotes around it when I said it ;-)

Wow, I had no idea that meat pies weren't really eaten in America! I'm veggie so I wouldn't eat one anywhere but I just figured they were fairly international. Mind you, it looks like you might be seeing more of them: Aussie meat pies gaining fans in US

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
His version of chicken pot pie is not my version of chicken pot pie. Mine is in a crust, either in a real pie tin or (sometimes) ina square/rectangular casserole dish with chicken, a thick broth, carrots and other veggies, and a crust on top. I'm actually a bit surprised to read Bob's saying that no adult would eat a pot pie.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
After reviewing the previous responses and in my own experience, I don't believe there is any general term that we use in AmE for things like cheese, lettuce, tomatoes etc. collectively for a sandwich. Instead, I think you would hear, for example, "I'll have the burger with everything" or I'll have the burger (plain, no onion, with mustard etc.).

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
His version of chicken pot pie is not my version of chicken pot pie. Mine is in a crust, either in a real pie tin or (sometimes) ina square/rectangular casserole dish with chicken, a thick broth, carrots and other veggies, and a crust on top. I'm actually a bit surprised to read Bob's saying that no adult would eat a pot pie.

They're certainly a comfort food in these parts. For adults. As a child, I would never eat anything with so many vegetables lurking inside.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Interesting idea. When I buy a BLT (Bacon, lettuce and tomato), I consider that there are three things in the sandwich, not bacon plus a topping. How about a cheese and tomato sandwich. Which is the topping now?

The BLT would probably be a special case. However, if you wanted mayo or jalapenos on top, they would be toppings or condiments, not fillings.

I think you're veering from the idea of what you call things that go on your sandwich (standard options) into things that make a particular sandwich unique. I certainly expect bacon and cheese on my bacon cheeseburger. If I order it "plain" I still expect bacon and cheese. But if I want lettuce and onions on it, they are toppings.

As Bob mentioned, fluid sauces are "condiments." I think all condiments are toppings, but not all toppings are condiments.

http://www.fiveguys.com/menu.aspx

Here is an example menu from a burger place.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I think you're veering from the idea of what you call things that go on your sandwich (standard options) into things that make a particular sandwich unique.
No, I think we just look at sandwiches in a different way on our side of the Atlantic. For us, a traditional sandwich is simply two slices of bread and butter with something in between. That something is the filling.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No, I think we just look at sandwiches in a different way on our side of the Atlantic. For us, a traditional sandwich is simply two slices of bread and butter with something in between. That something is the filling.

If I understand this correctly, then you would ask what you want "in" your sandwich, while we say "on."

Status
Not open for further replies.