Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
Algeria
Current Location
Algeria
Hi all teachers.In this definition "In phonetics, an R-colored or rhotic vowel (also called a vocalic R or a rhotacized vowel) is a vowel that is modified in a way that results in a lowering in frequency of the third formant.".I don't understand why R is vowel? and what is the meaning of third formant.Thank you.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
The answer to your question depends on what you mean by R. The sound /r/ is not a vowel and neither is /ɹ/, which is the R-like sound present in most English accents. However, in Northern American English for example, there is also the R-colored schwa /ɚ/. This is a vowel, or at least some phoneticians consider it one. I'm not a phonetician and I can't honestly say I know why some sounds are considered consonants and other vowels, so I can't make this any clearer.

As for the third formant and formants in general, I don't know what your acoustics knowledge is. I will assume no knowledge here.

When you pluck a string of a guitar, it starts vibrating at many frequencies at the same time. These frequencies are called partials and a sound with more than one partial is called complex. Most sounds you hear are complex. In particular, the speech sounds are always complex with many partials. It turns out that a human brain uses only a few of them to distinguish between speech sounds. These partials are called formants. The third formant of a sound it the third lowest.

raindoctor

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Swahili
Home Country
Kenya
Current Location
United States
It is called a vowel, because the articulators don't touch. This is a crude description, since one can distinguish sounds based on the distance between articulators: stop (full obstruction) > fricative (slit) > approximant ( more open than the slit) > vowel. Your native r could be a tap or a trill, hence a consonant, since the articulators touch. It is not the case in many native English dialects; in some native dialects, r is produced as a tap.

R-colored vowels and r consonant in AmE are different in timing. Otherwise, both are same. Even in American lects, this r produced in two different ways: bunched (molar) r; retroflexed (curled0 r.

For more, check Geoff's post

Status
Not open for further replies.