Please tell me where can I find the rule about using of verb to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suthipong

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
I am studying about how to use verb to have and want to read more about its rule. Please tell me where can I find it or tell me about the rule in brief.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
When you say "the rule", you seem to be implying that there is a one-and-only grammatical rule concerning the verb "have". This is very far from the truth. This verb performs multiple functions in English and has many meanings. Could you specify what rule you have in mind?

Suthipong

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
Thank you for the reply. I would like to know that what rule(s) stated about we use have after the questions begin with "Did".
1. She has a car now.
2. Did she have a car last year?
3. How many cars does she have?

moonlike

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thank you for the reply. I would like to know that what rule(s) stated about we use have after the questions begin with "Did".
1. She has a car now.
2. Did she have a car last year?
3. How many cars does she have?

Hi
If you mean why we use have in question not has, well because it's a question. As you know in question form or in negative form of present simple/past simple tense we use the first part of the verb. In the affirmative sentences you adjust the verb with the subject.
1. She has a cat/ She doesn't have a cat/ Does she have a cat?
2. I have a cat/ I don't have a cat/ Do I have a cat?
3 They have a cat/ They don't have a cat/ Do they have a cat.
Good luck

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi
If you mean why we use have in question not has, well because it's a question.
That's not exactly the reason. You could say, "Has she a car?" - although I don't use this form.
The reason for "have" in "Does she have a car" is that the auxiliary form 'does' is the one which inflects for number and person, not the infinitive 'have'.
"She does have a car" is not a question, but it is still the auxiliary that changes - ie. not "She does has a car".

moonlike

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
That's not exactly the reason. You could say, "Has she a car?" - although I don't use this form.
The reason for "have" in "Does she have a car" is that the auxiliary form 'does' is the one which inflects for number and person, not the infinitive 'have'.
"She does have a car" is not a question, but it is still the auxiliary that changes - ie. not "She does has a car".

Hi Raymott
Thanks for the better explanation you provided. By the way "has she a car?" is just common in informal speaking? It isn't grammatical,is it?
Thanks

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
By the way "has she a car?" is just common in informal speaking? It isn't grammatical,is it?
"Has she a car" is perfectly grammatical, but it is neither common nor informal. It ws the standard in moderately formal British English some fifty years ago. Some of us who were brought up in those times still use it.

moonlike

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
"Has she a car" is perfectly grammatical, but it is neither common nor informal. It ws the standard in moderately formal British English some fifty years ago. Some of us who were brought up in those times still use it.

Thanks dear 5jj

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland

It must be different from "have you a fag" then. I heard this said by a man in Birmingham (I don't remember his accent though, so he could have been from anywhere) who definitely didn't seek to appear even moderately formal. I'd place his date of birth in the 1960s by his looks.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Utterly unrelated to the question of "have you..." is the issue of "a fag." Please don't use this to ask for a cigarette in the US!

Status
Not open for further replies.