Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Both of them are horrified after being attacked by a burgler, so Mel is suggesting a day off, while Del wants to concetrate on work to get over it. What do you mean by "sink in"? The translation goes "do not think about it", but the dictionary's definition is "to understand sth".

gw2-16
Del- Which is exactly why we should work today, just stay focused.
Mel - Yeah, but don't you think we need a minute? I mean, just to, I don't know, let it sink in?
Del - Yeah, but I do that by staying busy.

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I've come across the phrase before. It means "just get used to it and gradually get over it". I came across the phrase when translating an article about bodybuilder Phil Heath, in which he was confessing his 1st Mister Olympia title win hadn't sunk in yet.

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I've come across the phrase before. It means "just get used to it and gradually get over it". I came across the phrase when translating an article about bodybuilder Phil Heath, in which he was confessing his 1st Mister Olympia title win hadn't sunk in yet.

[AmE - not a teacher]

I think this is close, but it means more like "get used to it so that you can find the deeper meaning/impact/ramifications".

Status
Not open for further replies.