English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi
This sentence was about a bench "the bench was just about wide enough". Does it mean almost?
Thanks a lot in advance

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
No. It was wide enough, but it was almost not wide enough.

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi
This sentence was about a bench "the bench was just about wide enough". Does it mean almost?
Thanks a lot in advance
In AusE, it means almost.
If someone is just about tall enough to reach something, he can't reach it.
If someone is just tall enough, he can reach it (just).

moonlike

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran

Thanks dear Raymott

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thanks dear Raymott
Hi moonlike,
It's really not necessary to make a new post to thank people (at least me). It just makes an empty new post that a few dozen people click on to read. Clicking 'like' is sufficient.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Wow, that sounds really odd to me! I can't imagine "just about" being a negative. So "He is just about tall enough to reach it" means the same as "He is not quite tall enough to reach it"?
Do you use "He was only just tall enough to reach it"? to mean barely tall enough, but tall enough?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Wow, that sounds really odd to me! I can't imagine "just about" being a negative. So "He is just about tall enough to reach it" means the same as "He is not quite tall enough to reach it"?
Do you use "He was only just tall enough to reach it"? to mean barely tall enough, but tall enough?

I would read it the same as Raymott. If something is just about wide enough, it is not wide enough.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Yes

Also, if I say, "That English assignment just about killed me", it didn't kill me, but almost did.
I find it weird that you British would use it to mean the opposite.

Last edited:

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Also, if I say, "That English assignment just about killed me", it didn't kill, me but almost did.

It was a near miss!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In three years on this site, this is the most surprising difference in use of English I have discovered.

I can entirely see how "it just about killed me" would be a negative but mainly because it's so unlikely that it actually would kill you and, if it had, you wouldn't be around to utter those words!

However, with "real" situations and descriptions, I can't think of a single instance in which it's a negative.

He's just about tall enough to reach the top of the cupboard = He can get his fingertips on top of the cupboard by stretching to his fullest possible extent.

I have just about enough rice to make a risotto = I need 300g of rice and I have 301g. Phew! I don't have to go shopping for rice. (We would also say, of course, "I have just enough rice ..." to mean the same thing.)

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have just about enough rice to make a risotto = I need 300g of rice and I have 301g. Phew! I don't have to go shopping for rice. (We would also say, of course, "I have just enough rice ..." to mean the same thing.)

I hear this as you are happy with having just under the requisite amount :)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I hear this as you are happy with having just under the requisite amount :)

This will take some getting used to. I re-read my sentence and realised that I could probably have had 299g, 300g or 301g and still said "just about enough". However, if I only had 299g, I would probably say "Damn, I haven't got quite enough rice for the risotto recipe but it'll probably be enough".

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I find it weird that you British would use it to mean the opposite.

For me, if something is just about wide enough, it could be almost wide enough or a struggle but manageable.

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Was thinking more about this.. it could mean "just over the amount needed" in this context:

I've had just about enough of you. (But even then, it still could mean "watch out, you're about to cross the line")

But, to my ears, there is a clear distinction here:

We have just enough people to get started, so now we can begin.

We have just about enough people to get started, so let's wait another minute, then we'll begin.

magimagicE

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
UK
Hi

Thanks a lot in advance

It means that the bench was wide enough, but that the speaker/author wanted to emphasize the narrowness of the margin by which it was.

It's a way of introducing a little uncertainty into an otherwise boring definite outcome of whether it was or it wasn't wide enough. The little uncertainties can sometimes be more interesting...

Phrases like "just about", "nearly" and "almost" also have this peculiar aspect of triggering a mental picture in your mind's eye.

OP, did you not imagine yourself holding one hand up to your face with thumb and forefinger about an inch apart as you read the segment, "the bench was just about wide enough"?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
It means that the bench was wide enough, but that the speaker/author wanted to emphasize the narrowness of the margin by which it was.
Yes, but have you read the thread? It means that in BrE, but not in AusE or AmE (apparently).

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I've had just about enough of you. (But even then, it still could mean "watch out, you're about to cross the line")
Yes, it's a warning, meaning "almost enough to make me strangle you". But apparently in BrE, you'd have to be strangling someone already to say this, because there it means you've already had enough.

PS: I also agree with ems that it's one of the most surprising differences I've come across here too. I would not have guessed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.