Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Hello,
once and for all I'd like to know if, talking about the content of a book/story/film etc...it is possible to say: The story/book tells about.....
I think it is wrong, as you need the person you are talking to (the story tells us about...). Otherwise it is better to say "the story is about..." or The story deals with...". Am I wrong?
Please... tell me about it!
:?::roll:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hello,
once and for all I'd like to know if, talking about the content of a book/story/film etc...it is possible to say: The story/book tells about.....
I think it is wrong, as you need the person you are talking to (the story tells us about...). Otherwise it is better to say "the story is about..." or The story deals with...". Am I wrong?
Please... tell me about it!
:?::roll:

"The story tells about" is wrong.

clairec

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Thank you, I 'm relieved!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I'd say it's not very common rather than wrong. COCA has two citations for 'story tells about', seventeen for 'story tells of', three for 'book tells about', and four for 'book tells of'.

It is not essential to have an object after 'tell'. When the subject is a person, it's not uncommon to hear such things as 'My grandfather often told of his experiences in Africa at the end of the nineteenth century'. COCA has many citations - 'of' is more common than 'about'.

Status
Not open for further replies.