• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

would be ??

Hello Teacher, in this sentence, I read this sentence online. I am wondering why the writer is using "would be a waste of time" and "would not have". Can I say "it will be a waste of time" and "she will not have"

I suggested to her that she should go for a medical check up. She says it would be a waste of time as if a problem is found she would not have any type of surgery procedure.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

Re: would be ??

Quote Originally Posted by thomas615 View Post
    Hello Teacher, in this sentence, I read this sentence online. I am wondering why the writer is using "would be a waste of time" and "would not have". Can I say "it will be a waste of time" and "she will not have"

I suggested to her that she should go for a medical check up. She says it would be a waste of time as if a problem is->were found she would not have any type of surgery procedure.
    "would be" and "will be" are quite different .

1."will be" --->the simple future

2."would be" -->the future in the past .or "would be" --> subjunctive mood

In this sentence we should use subjunctive mood ,so we can not change them into "it will be" and "she will not have" .

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: would be ??

If I go, it will be a waste of time. (It's possible I will go)
    If I were to go, it would be a waste of time. (I will not go. But if the situation were different, and I did go...)
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.