• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

• Post Thanks / Like

Daily telegraph

I grew up bereft of hugs. Neither of my parents was the cuddly type. Greetings involving kissing caused me to wince, and hugging generally just made me feel awkward. Then one hug changed all that. One month before my 40th birthday my dad had heart surgery. As he came round, days later, he grabbed me and hugged me so hard I had to push with all my might to keep my head from pressing down on his newly stitched torso.

It was a hug to make up for all those we had never had. Days later as he slowly started to gain strength he told me for the first time ever that he loved me, and 1 my tears I told him I loved him too.

I began planning how to bake him better with carrot cakes, victoria sponges, jelly and ice cream. My maternal streak kicked in and I fantasised about wheeling him through the park and feeding him home-made goodies. Then he died.

I felt 2 . All my life I had wondered whether my dad cared for me and loved me I doubted it. Just as I got proof that he did, he passed away.
    As time moved on my grief and anger at his untimely death began to recede. I realised that his affirmation of me from his deathbed had filled a gaping hole of insecurity I had constantly carried around.
    Dad's hug had a profound effect on me. It carried me along a path from childhood to adulthood. At last I am my own woman and one who loves nothing better than a good old-fashioned hug.

1. A. through B. against
    Could I use "against" to express the act of "fighting back my tears"? Is "through my tears" a fixed expression?
    2. A. deserted B. cheated
    Which one is more suitable? WHY?

The underlined sentence makes no sense to me, since Dad seldom hugged "me" in my childhood. How can Dad's hug carried me along a path from childhood to adulthood???

Thanks

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Daily telegraph

Please help me out.

thanks

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jasonlulu_2000 View Post
    I grew up bereft of hugs. Neither of my parents was the cuddly type. Greetings involving kissing caused me to wince, and hugging generally just made me feel awkward. Then one hug changed all that. One month before my 40th birthday my dad had heart surgery. As he came round, days later, he grabbed me and hugged me so hard I had to push with all my might to keep my head from pressing down on his newly stitched torso.

It was a hug to make up for all those we had never had. Days later as he slowly started to gain strength he told me for the first time ever that he loved me, and 1 my tears I told him I loved him too.

I began planning how to bake him better – with carrot cakes, victoria sponges, jelly and ice cream. My maternal streak kicked in and I fantasised about wheeling him through the park and feeding him home-made goodies. Then he died.

I felt 2 . All my life I had wondered whether my dad cared for me and loved me – I doubted it. Just as I got proof that he did, he passed away.
    As time moved on my grief and anger at his untimely death began to recede. I realised that his affirmation of me from his deathbed had filled a gaping hole of insecurity I had constantly carried around.
    Dad's hug had a profound effect on me. It carried me along a path from childhood to adulthood. At last I am my own woman and one who loves nothing better than a good old-fashioned hug.

1. A. through B. against
    Could I use "against" to express the act of "fighting back my tears"? Is "through my tears" a fixed expression?
    2. A. deserted B. cheated
    Which one is more suitable? WHY?

The underlined sentence makes no sense to me, since Dad seldom hugged "me" in my childhood. How can Dad's hug carried me along a path from childhood to adulthood???

Thanks
    It's true that the writer was "seldom" hugged but read the end of the first paragraph again. That is the hug to which the question refers. In future, please make sure your thread title has something to do with the post. I can't see any mention of Daily Telegraph in your post. A better title would have been "Dad's hug" or something similar.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

• Post Thanks / Like

thanks for your help.

I'm sorry for not getting it clear.

First, this passage is adapted from one article in the Daily Telegraph, so I use the baffling title.

Second, I think" the hug at the end of the first paragraph" is one the author received at the age of 40. How could this hug be a path from her childhood to her adult?

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Jason

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

• Post Thanks / Like

As an adult, she would have continued with some of the inhibitions inherited from her childhood, but when her father hugged her, she was able to leave all this behind her.