Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm sure I've posted about this before - but I've re-written the first (now two) post(s).

I just wish someone at the local universities would actually reply to my emails - oh well, their loss?

See what you all think...

Gamasutra: Darren Tomlyn's Blog - Contents: NEW

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
(There have been some studies about the subjective nature of the English language, for this very reason)

This is one reason why- this does not pass the basic requirements for academic debates- a claim is made without any references. That is not how academic debate takes place. If you want academics to take you seriously, then you must adhere to the conventions of academic writing.

DarrenTomlyn

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's a blog entry and not an academic paper for a reason... If I had access to the 'proper' sources, rather than news articles/reports then I'd know exactly what to quote, wouldn't I? (Let alone having access to the proper resources and support to be able to write a proper academic paper in the first place).

The nearest I can get is this:

Does Language Influence Culture? - WSJ.com

But I know I've read more in passing - (just not sure where). Again - not being at university myself, makes accessing the work of such studies, in whatever journals they are published, extremely hard, if not impossible...

If I could get into university to do all this properly, then I would - but no-one's been interested in talking to me...

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You can link to news articles and reports, but you have to link to something. I am not saying that your theory will succeed if you do follow conventions, but as long as you ignore them, it will be ignored- why should professors reply to an unsourced blog entry?

DarrenTomlyn

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I remember what happened now... You're right - I had a link to go there, instead, but lost it - and forgot to replace it when I copied and pasted it from a previous version - oops. (Now added a link to the WSJ article, though I'm still not happy). To be honest, however, the real problems which matter for the people here, (the basic rules of English grammar), are before that anyway...

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Here's another one
Even more unfortunately, is that nearly all of the attempts to understand the word game and what it represents tend to be based upon such simplicity, and have made the problem(s) worse.
If you don't have access to proper sources, how can you be sure what nearly all attempts to understand the word "game" tend to be?

I partly agree with the person who posted a comment there. You definitely need a concise explanation of what you're talking about. I spent five or ten minutes skimming your post and I found many places in which you were saying that there are problems with the word "game", but I was unable to find the place where you say what the problems actually are. You do say something about
The lack of recognition and understanding of the relationship between, (and the differences of), games and art.

But how does this lack of recognition manifest itself? What was the "argument with someone from rpgforumsonline.com" actually about? I know it was about "the use and definition of computer-based role-playing games", but what was the problem with them?

I'm not saying that the answers to my questions aren't there. I'm just saying that a passer-by like me may not care enough to try to find them. I want to know what I'm going to be reading about before I start reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.