Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
If I want to fill in a form about my address of a flat/apartment/condo, and indicate clearly that the flat/apartment/condo is owned by myself rather than rented from other people, and that the number is 803, how should I write it, Condo No 803? Or anything else?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Your address is simply where your mail comes. You don't need to indicate whether you own it, rent it or live there for free.
If it's important, there will be other places on the form to indicate whether you own or rent. The postal service indicates your address. If they call it Condo 803, that's fine. If they call it 803 Main Street, that's fine. If they call it Unit 803, 24 Main Street, that's fine too.

joham

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thanks a lot, Barb. I should not have used the word 'address'. What I mean is to fill in a legal form about private property. Is Condo 803
fine?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thanks a lot, Barb. I should not have used the word 'address'. What I mean is to fill in a legal form about private property. Is Condo 803
fine?
Where are you sending the legal form? For example, "Condo" is not a term used in Australia. "Flat" is used here, but maybe not in some places. "Unit" or "apartment" are probably understood everywhere. As Barb said, "
Unit 803, 24 Main Street" would be universally recognised.
"I am the legal owner of Unit X, xyz Main Street ..." or "Unit 1, Level 2, 4 Main St." etc. however you write addresses where you are from.
"I have full legal ownership of ..."
I can't see how that would be misunderstood. But if, as you say, it's a form, wouldn't there be a multi-choice box with Owner, Renter, etc. on it?

Last edited:

joham

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thanks a lot, Raymott. I am to send the document to the USA. Here by Condo 803 I mean the condo is the third unit on the 8th level on our 'Building 2' in an alley. This is how our estate administration numbers our property.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thanks a lot, Raymott. I am to send the document to the USA. Here by Condo 803 I mean the condo is the third unit on the 8th level on our 'Building 2' in an alley. This is how our estate administration numbers our property.
It probably wouldn't hurt to state that on the form, maybe in brackets afterwards. "Condo 803 (Building 2, Level 8, Unit 3, at xy Main Alley). You can't be too careful with legal stuff.
Actually, in legal terms, the address as written is not how property is listed. My house, even though it has a street address is called "Lot XYZ in the Parish of ABC", or some such, but you'd needs the title deeds in front of you, and I'm sure almost no one knows what their residence is called on their title deeds. But if they need that level of identification, they can always write back and ask for it.

Last edited:

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
fine?

You're asking for free legal advice. You get what you pay for. (I'm simply saying that you should check with the relavent authority to get this answered, not a forum on how to use English.) :)

joham

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
You're asking for free legal advice. You get what you pay for. (I'm simply saying that you should check with the relavent authority to get this answered, not a forum on how to use English.) :)

Thanks a lot, Bob. I was indeed asking how to use English. I read in a legal document translated by one of our local notary translators who put it as Room 803 (and otherwise Apartment 803), which I thought would cause misunderstanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.