Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. AlexAD's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Belarus
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2011
    • Posts: 668
    #1

    Accepting an apology

    Hello.

    I was going to have an interview but the interviewer didn't appear on time, leaving a message asking me if the conversation could be postponed for 1 hour. I agreed, but the interviewer didn't put in appearance after an hour and a half.
    So I suggested we have that conversation another day.

    Now I have received a letter offering their apologies for that incident.
    How should I react to it? What would you say?

    P.S. I would be grateful if you would point out any mistakes you might find in the post.

    Thanks, Alex.
    Last edited by AlexAD; 14-Apr-2012 at 09:00. Reason: Mistakes have been fixed

  2. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #2

    Re: Accepting an apologise

    Quote Originally Posted by AlexAD View Post
    Hello.

    I was going to have an interview but the interviewer didn't appear on time, leaving the a message requesting me do I not mind asking me if the conversation is could be postponed for 1 hour. I agreed, but the interviewer didn't hadn't put in appearance after 1,5 hours ninety minutes/an hour and a half..
    So I suggested to (that) we have that conversation on the another day.

    Now I got have received a letter offering their apologies for that incident.
    How should I react to it?
    You suggested that you meet another day, and they have offered their apologies, so that seems to be the end of it. If you have not already done so, it is now too late to show your annoyance, particularly if they gave a satisfactory reason for their non-appearance.

  3. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,907
    #3

    Re: Accepting an apologise

    The title of your thread suggests that you want to accept the apology. If that is the case then you would just say that you appreciate and accept that apology and ask when the re-scheduled interview will be. That is, of course, if you still wish to work for such a badly-organised person!

  4. AlexAD's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Belarus
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2011
    • Posts: 668
    #4

    Re: Accepting an apologise

    Sorry, I haven't mentioned an important detail that the letter with the apology also asking me to have another interview. I am going to accept that proposal but I am just a little puzzled should I write something in return to their apology like 'I accept your apology' or something? In case I should, I'd like you to suggest any options.


    P.S. They had said they were late from a meeting just before the interview started.
    P.P.S. What would be the difference between an apology and apologies in this particular case? I feel like we can say either way, am I wrong?
    Last edited by AlexAD; 14-Apr-2012 at 09:18.

  5. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,907
    #5

    Re: Accepting an apologise

    Quote Originally Posted by AlexAD View Post
    Sorry, I haven't mentioned an important detail that the letter with the apology also asking me to have another interview. I am going to accept that proposal but I am just a little puzzled should I write something in return to their apology like 'I accept your apology' or something? In case I should, I'd like you to suggest any options.


    P.S. They had said they were late from a meeting just before the interview started.
    P.P.S. What would be the difference between an apology and apologies in this particular case? I feel like we can say either way, am I wrong?
    I would go with something like "Thank you for letting me know what caused the problems on the last occasion - I completely understand that these things happen. I would be delighted to attend an interview on [date] at [time]." (I imagine some people will consider my first sentence too informal).

    You're right that you can use "apology" and "apologies" in this context, but your thread title used "apologise", the spelling of the verb.

  6. AlexAD's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Belarus
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2011
    • Posts: 668
    #6

    Re: Accepting an apologise

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I would go with something like "Thank you for letting me know what caused the problems on the last occasion - I completely understand that these things happen. I would be delighted to attend an interview on [date] at [time]." (I imagine some people will consider my first sentence too informal).

    You're right that you can use "apology" and "apologies" in this context, but your thread title used "apologise", the spelling of the verb.
    Thank you, emsr2d2.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 12,310
    #7

    Re: Accepting an apologise

    put in appearance
    I would say "an appearance." Is this an AmE/BrE difference?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,912
    #8

    Re: Accepting an apologise

    No, we do the same.

Similar Threads

  1. accepting offer with condition
    By zaedsul in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-Mar-2012, 16:31
  2. apology? apology?
    By optimistic pessimist in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-Jan-2012, 17:12
  3. Informal letter - accepting an invitation
    By D.Alex in forum Letter Writing
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-Jan-2011, 16:56
  4. accepting
    By bosun in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 20-Feb-2008, 13:16
  5. accepting vs acceptation
    By rogergm62 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-Jul-2006, 07:50

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •