Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
United States
Hello.

I was going to have an interview but the interviewer didn't appear on time, leaving a message asking me if the conversation could be postponed for 1 hour. I agreed, but the interviewer didn't put in appearance after an hour and a half.
So I suggested we have that conversation another day.

Now I have received a letter offering their apologies for that incident.
How should I react to it? What would you say?

P.S. I would be grateful if you would point out any mistakes you might find in the post.

Thanks, Alex.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Re: Accepting an apologise

Hello.

I was going to have an interview but the interviewer didn't appear on time, leaving[STRIKE] the[/STRIKE] a message [STRIKE]requesting me do I not mind[/STRIKE] asking me if the conversation [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] could be postponed for 1 hour. I agreed, but the interviewer [STRIKE]didn't[/STRIKE] hadn't put in appearance after [STRIKE]1,5 hours[/STRIKE] ninety minutes/an hour and a half..
So I suggested [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] (that) we have that conversation on [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] another day.

Now I [STRIKE]got[/STRIKE] have received a letter offering their apologies for that incident.
How should I react to it?
You suggested that you meet another day, and they have offered their apologies, so that seems to be the end of it. If you have not already done so, it is now too late to show your annoyance, particularly if they gave a satisfactory reason for their non-appearance.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

The title of your thread suggests that you want to accept the apology. If that is the case then you would just say that you appreciate and accept that apology and ask when the re-scheduled interview will be. That is, of course, if you still wish to work for such a badly-organised person!

AlexAD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
United States

Sorry, I haven't mentioned an important detail that the letter with the apology also asking me to have another interview. I am going to accept that proposal but I am just a little puzzled should I write something in return to their apology like 'I accept your apology' or something? In case I should, I'd like you to suggest any options.

P.S. They had said they were late from a meeting just before the interview started.
P.P.S. What would be the difference between an apology and apologies in this particular case? I feel like we can say either way, am I wrong?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Sorry, I haven't mentioned an important detail that the letter with the apology also asking me to have another interview. I am going to accept that proposal but I am just a little puzzled should I write something in return to their apology like 'I accept your apology' or something? In case I should, I'd like you to suggest any options.

P.S. They had said they were late from a meeting just before the interview started.
P.P.S. What would be the difference between an apology and apologies in this particular case? I feel like we can say either way, am I wrong?

I would go with something like "Thank you for letting me know what caused the problems on the last occasion - I completely understand that these things happen. I would be delighted to attend an interview on [date] at [time]." (I imagine some people will consider my first sentence too informal).

You're right that you can use "apology" and "apologies" in this context, but your thread title used "apologise", the spelling of the verb.

AlexAD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
United States

I would go with something like "Thank you for letting me know what caused the problems on the last occasion - I completely understand that these things happen. I would be delighted to attend an interview on [date] at [time]." (I imagine some people will consider my first sentence too informal).

You're right that you can use "apology" and "apologies" in this context, but your thread title used "apologise", the spelling of the verb.
Thank you, emsr2d2.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

put in appearance

I would say "an appearance." Is this an AmE/BrE difference?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

No, we do the same. ;-)

Status