Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Dear Teachers

In the US, people use the word "jock" to describe an illiterate person whose life only revolve around sports. How about in UK, do British use the same word, or they have their own word for "jock"?

Regards

Anthony

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I can't think of one.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In the US, people use the word "jock" to describe an illiterate person whose life only revolve around sports. How about in UK, do British use the same word, or they have their own word for "jock"?

Our American friends will comment on the first statement when they wake up later. I'm not sure it's true that a jock is always considered illiterate.

We don't use jock in the UK, but we might describe him as a sporty person or sport mad.

Rover

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I am pretty certain our American counterparts will have something to say about the "illiterate" suggestion. It's true that in many films, the "jocks" are shown as being very good at sport but not so gifted academically, but they are far from illiterate.

I can't think of any BrE equivalent - we don't consider sport to be as important at high school as they do in America. For most secondary school students in the UK, sport is something they are forced to do at school for a couple of hours a week and most of them hate it. Most schools do have a soccer team and a netball team but there's rarely much competition to get into the team.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My forum friends are correct. While a jock may value sports more than academics, there is NO implication he is stupid, illiterate, or academically failing.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Now the pendulum has swung all the way over in the other direction. I agree the term applies to someone who excels in sports, and values sports (esp. Am. Football) above all else; and I agree the notion of illiteracy is not part of the concept; but I think there is a stereotype in the US that the jock is the opposite of the geek, who IS very smart (it's a good thing high school is not so orthodox everywhere! poor kids!)

Last edited:

richardavie

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Spain
English people sometimes use the word 'Jock' to refer to Scottish people. Being Scottish I take slight offence to this slur but my English friends tell me there are no negative implications....

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
English people sometimes use the word 'Jock' to refer to Scottish people. Being Scottish I take slight offence to this slur but my English friends tell me there are no negative implications....

I don't use it but I can confirm that I don't believe that it is intended to have negative implications. I hear it the same way that Australians refer to us as "Poms". Now, when they call us "whingeing Poms" that's another matter!

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
...we might describe him as a sporty person or sport mad.

Rover

:up: Bot occasionally I've heard a phrase that refers to a particular sport - 'rugger b*gger'. Also, given the popularity of TV shows like Glee and fils like 10 things I hate about you I wouldn't be surprised if very young speakers of British English are beginning to use 'jock' in the American sense. Most aspects of American youth are on the way. In my childhood we didn't go Trick or Treating or have a School Prom; and my sisters didn't ask their mother to fork out for a Prom Dress. ;-)

b

Last edited:

richardavie

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Spain
I don't use it but I can confirm that I don't believe that it is intended to have negative implications. I hear it the same way that Australians refer to us as "Poms". Now, when they call us "whingeing Poms" that's another matter!

Thanks! I guess it all depends how and in what context you say it :)

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My forum friends are correct. While a jock may value sports more than academics, there is NO implication he is stupid, illiterate, or academically failing.

I wouldn't go as far as saying "illiterate," but it certainly is in the stereotype that a "jock" is not the brightest of students.

patran

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Dear Soothing Dave, I even found in Urban Dictionary, an entry describes a jock is an idiot as well. I think it is worse than "illiterate". What do you reckon.

Anthony the learner

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
That's just one internet site, and not an authoritative one, but it does reflect that there is a negative stereotype out there.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You are just as likely to hear a CEO of a company say that he was part of the "jock crowd" in high school as you are to hear him say he was a member of the chess club. I repeat that being a jock does NOT make you illiterate, unintelligent, or an idiot.

On the other hand "dumb jock" does mean what you suggest -- all muscles, limited intelligence.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Dear Soothing Dave, I even found in Urban Dictionary, an entry describes a jock is an idiot as well. I think it is worse than "illiterate". What do you reckon.

Anthony the learner

One can be literate and still be an idiot. As I said above, I don't think "illiterate" is part of the definition of "jock."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The definitions in the Urban Dictionary are, I believe, written by members of the public.

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A person can be illiterate and be brilliant.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think we can all agree that education, intelligence, and idiocy are not dependent upon one another. You can have any combination.

Status
Not open for further replies.