Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Feb 2012
    • Posts: 211

    address people from different countries

    Dear Teachers

    I am interested in knowing when changing the form of a country-name into the people there, is there a rule or convention when to sue ish, an, and ese as follows?

    Britain/ British
    Swede/ Swedish
    Spain/ Spanish

    America/ American
    Korea/ Korean
    Mexico/ Mexican

    China / Chinese
    Hong Kong/ Hongkonger or Hongkongese?
    Portugal/ Portuguese

    Please advise

    Anthony the learner

  2. Moderator
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 25,704

    Re: address people from different countries

    No, there's no rule.

    We just have to remember them or look them up in a list of demonyms.


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25-Nov-2011, 10:34
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 25-Feb-2009, 06:54
  3. to address people
    By Tapies in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-Dec-2008, 00:30
  4. How to address 2 people at an orgin 1 letter
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 17-Oct-2008, 22:00
  5. doubt on how to address people
    By dinha in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-Dec-2006, 04:59


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts