[General] How to tell apart B and T to others on the phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TERRYTNT

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
hello
Sometimes, when I call the customer service and provide my email address, they always can not distinguish the letter B and T because of my pronunciation . I would say : B is the fitsr letter of the word BOY and T is the first letter of the word TNT.but I heard as if they did say so like me.
what is simpler words?
Thanks a lot

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
B as in Boy, or Bob, or Bravo, or Baker.
T as in Tom, or Tango

TNT is not a natural way to explain T.

TERRYTNT

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
B as in Boy, or Bob, or Bravo, or Baker.
T as in Tom, or Tango

TNT is not a natural way to explain T.

that`s it! "as in" thank you very much!haha:up::up::up:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"they always can not distinguish the letter B and T because of my pronunciation."
You might mean, 1. "They can't always distinguish ..." = Sometimes they can't distinguish.
2. "They always can't distinguish ..." = They can never distinguish. "They always can't..." is not a common way of saying things. If you mean they never can distinguish it, it's better to say "They can never distinguish..."

Simply:
"They always can't ..." Not good
"They can never ..." Good.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Most people who work in call centres etc where they have to take people's names, addresses, postcodes and other such things are used to people using some very odd ways of explaining which letter they mean. However, the easiest way would be for everyone to use the phonetic alphabet which is used by the military, air traffic control and many other groups all over the world. For your examples you would use "Bravo" and "Tango". Here's a link to the words used :

NATO Phonetic Alphabet

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I agree with ems (as usual).

When you are talking to somebody in a call centre who takes down this sort of information all day long you don't need to say 'B as in Bravo, A is in Alpha', 'Z as in Zulu' etc. Just say 'My name is spelt Bravo, Alpha, Zulu'.

Rover

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Of course, if the person on the other end of the phone is not used to that type of alphabet you'll find that you have to repeat everything anyway. I remember one such conversation with a call centre where I had been asked for my username (which is the same as it is on here) and I had reached "Echo, Mike, Sierra, Romeo, number 2, Delta" when the operative said "Hang on, I'm still writing down "Echomike". She had no idea that I was talking about individual letters and had been trying to write all the words down, thinking (presumably) that I had an incredibly long username (echomikesierraromeonumbertwodeltanumbertwo)!

TERRYTNT

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
You might mean, 1. "They can't always distinguish ..." = Sometimes they can't distinguish.
2. "They always can't distinguish ..." = They can never distinguish. "They always can't..." is not a common way of saying things. If you mean they never can distinguish it, it's better to say "They can never distinguish..."

Simply:
"They always can't ..." Not good
"They can never ..." Good.

thanks for your corrections.:-D

Status
Not open for further replies.