Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I've never considered the number of "Following" , and I saw the rule like "following+are+plural noun" or "following+is+singular noun", so is it so strict or flexible?

go1-ybm-3-1p
ex)The following are the minutes of a
student council meeting. The council consists of seven students, including the president, all elected by students. The meeting took place one day after a student got injured in a fight.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I've never considered the number of "Following" , and I saw the rule like "following+are+plural noun" or "following+is+singular noun", so is it so strict or flexible?

go1-ybm-3-1p
ex)The following are the minutes of a
student council meeting. The council consists of seven students, including the president, all elected by students. The meeting took place one day after a student got injured in a fight.

I'm not sure what you're confused by. The words "The following are the minutes" fit perfectly into your "following + are + plural noun" rule.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thanks a lot! I meant if some people write "The following is the minutes..." ignoring the rule, and if it's acceptable by others.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps an easy way to remember "Following" + (singular or plural) is to change the order of the singular/plural noun as in "Minutes are following".

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks a lot! I meant if some people write "The following is the minutes..." ignoring the rule, and if it's acceptable by others.

I'm sure it happens. "Minutes" in this sense is plural. But so was "news" at one time.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The following are the minutes...
The following is a record....

The verb typically takes the number of the noun. But as billmcd suggested it may be better to change the word order so that the noun comes before the verb. Personally, I'd avoid 'the following is/are' anyway as dead wood, and just use a sub-head for Minutes/Notes/Log.... or whatever noun you think best.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.