Results 1 to 7 of 7
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

    • Join Date: Feb 2008
    • Posts: 1,638
    #1

    found him seated/sitting

    Hi

    When I came back home I found him seated in the tall grass ...

    When I came back home I found him sitting in the tall grass ...


    Is there any difference in meaning between these two?

  1. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,218
    #2

    Re: found him seated/sitting

    There is no practical different at all.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 99
    #3

    Re: found him seated/sitting

    Quote Originally Posted by GUEST2008 View Post
    Hi

    When I came back home I found him seated in the tall grass ...

    When I came back home I found him sitting in the tall grass ...



    Is there any difference in meaning between these two?
    Well I think the second sentence is correct.
    It means he was sitting over there voluntarily perhaps waiting for someone.
    Whereas "seated" is used when one is formerly made to sit like at some formal gathering or event which is not evident from context of the first sentence.
    Thanks.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

    • Join Date: Feb 2008
    • Posts: 1,638
    #4

    Re: found him seated/sitting

    The context was that he was sitting there because he wanted to.

  2. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,838
    #5

    Re: found him seated/sitting

    Quote Originally Posted by keen learner View Post
    Well I think the second sentence is correct.
    It means he was sitting over there voluntarily perhaps waiting for someone.
    Whereas "seated" is used when one is formerly made to sit like at some formal gathering or event which is not evident from context of the first sentence.
    Thanks.
    I disagree.

    I am currently sitting on my sofa.
    You can find me, right now, seated on my sofa.

    I can assure that my sofa doesn't constitute a formal gathering or event.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 99
    #6

    Re: found him seated/sitting

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I disagree.

    I am currently sitting on my sofa.
    You can find me, right now, seated on my sofa.

    I can assure that my sofa doesn't constitute a formal gathering or event.
    Thanks , i wasn't aware that it could be used in the casual sense too.

  3. konungursvia's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Mar 2009
    • Posts: 5,158
    #7

    Re: found him seated/sitting

    I see what you are thinking, and you have at least captured a statistically significant tendency. Seated is more formal, to me, than sitting, but both are possible in virtually every situation.

    The difference, to me, is that the verb "to seat", like "to be seated", means that a seat (n) is provided, whereas sitting doesn't necessarily imply this.

    That's just my impression.

    Quote Originally Posted by keen learner View Post
    Well I think the second sentence is correct.
    It means he was sitting over there voluntarily perhaps waiting for someone.
    Whereas "seated" is used when one is formerly made to sit like at some formal gathering or event which is not evident from context of the first sentence.
    Thanks.

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] sitting idle vs. sitting idly
    By virus99 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 14-Nov-2011, 13:26
  2. be seated vs sit
    By juliana2 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 25-Nov-2010, 23:52
  3. [General] He had but seated = Scarcely had he seated
    By vil in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18-Nov-2008, 14:47
  4. Sit down/ Seat yourself/ Be seated
    By optimistic pessimist in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-Nov-2008, 17:23
  5. remain seated
    By jctgf in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 31-Aug-2008, 15:10

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •