• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Serbo-Croatian
      • Home Country:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

Articles

I am wondering which article one should use in this kind of sentences. For example:

1. She moved to London, where she lived the life of an artist. (or should be "a life?")
    2. She moved to Monaco, where she lived the life of luxury (of should I use "a"?)
    3. In the recent years, life in London has become expensive.
    4. The short story describes the ordinary life of an ordinary man
    5. They say that cultural life in Paris is still exciting.
    6. He expected to find a life of happiness, but instead he found a life of misery.
    7.She enjoyed a good life in her last years.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Bassim View Post
    I am wondering which article one should use in this kind of sentences. For example:

1. She moved to London, where she lived the life of an artist. (or should be "a life?") Which do you think sounds better?
    2. She moved to Monaco, where she lived the life of luxury (of should I use "a"?) Which do you think sounds better?
    3. In the recent years, life in London has become expensive.
    4. The short story describes the ordinary life of an ordinary man.
    5. They say that cultural life in Paris is still exciting.
    6. He expected to find a life of happiness, but instead he found a life of misery.
    7.She enjoyed a good life in her last years. Yes (although "the" is possible if it's referring to the commonly-used phrase "the good life").
    See above.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Serbo-Croatian
      • Home Country:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

Dear emsr2d2,

Thank you again for helping me with this question.
    In the examples above, I think that the sentence number 1 should be the life of an artist, although I have to admit that I am not sure. In the sentence 2. the life of luxury sounds grammatically correct, I think so. And 3. Probably I should write, the life in London?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Dear emsr2d2,

Thank you again for helping me with this question.
    In the examples above, I think that the sentence number 1 should be the life of an artist, although I have to admit that I am not sure. In the sentence 2. the life of luxury sounds grammatically correct, I think so. And 3. Probably I should write, the life in London?
    You're right about #1, it's "the life of an artist" because that is a recognised lifestyle.
    In #2, we always say "a life of luxury".
    In #3, "life in London" is fine because it's just a generic statement about life. Your error was putting "In the recent years". We simply say "In recent years".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Serbo-Croatian
      • Home Country:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

Thank you again, emsr
    My main problem with the articles is that in my mother tongue, which is Serbo-Croatian, now called Bosnian, we do not have the articles. Instead we have seven different cases. I have lived in Sweden for years and they have the articles, but their rules are mostly different from English. So whenever I write a noun I start to doubt and sometimes even to panic, because I am not sure if it is correct. Probably I would need many years until I learn to use them properly.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Thank you again, emsr
    My main problem with the articles is that in my mother tongue, which is Serbo-Croatian, now called Bosnian, we do not have the articles. Instead we have seven different cases. I have lived in Sweden for years and they have the articles, but their rules are mostly different from English. So whenever I write a noun I start to doubt and sometimes even to panic, because I am not sure if it is correct. Probably I would need many years until I learn to use them properly.
    Don't panic about them. You will be understood fine even if you mix up the articles. There are few cases where it is vitally important to get them right. Sometimes, if you get it wrong, it might sounds strange. For example, if you said to your child "Please wash a car" instead of "Please wash the car" (meaning the car belonging to our family), that child might be a bit confused and might go out in the street and just wash the first car they saw! That's a silly example but you get the point. Most of the time, however, a sentence will be entirely understandable whether you use the correct article, the incorrect article or no article at all! Communication is what matters.

I'm certain that in the end they will become second nature to you, but as a learner it's just a case of spotting usage and remembering it.