• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

it ... when

"It is all deliciously ironic when you consider that Shakespeare, who earns their living, was himself an actor with a beard and did his share of noise-making." Here it refers to the that clause. (1) Is that so? But there is another one.

" It is a bit confusing when Savant answers such queries as ..."(2) If we think here it refers to the situation or time ,how can the situation or time is confusing, I cannot understand it. I think it may be the situation or time made Savant confused or the queries are confusing. But I would be confused it " it " referred to the queries, why not use " they are" instead? (3)By the way , please compare the two ones.
    Glad to hear your teaching.
    Thanks!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: it ... when

Quote Originally Posted by notletrest View Post
    "It is all deliciously ironic when you consider that Shakespeare, who earns their living, was himself an actor with a beard and did his share of noise-making." Here it refers to the that clause. (1) Is that so? But there is another one.

" It is a bit confusing when Savant answers such queries as ..."(2) If we think here it refers to the situation or time ,how can the situation or time is confusing, I cannot understand it. I think it may be the situation or time made Savant confused or the queries are confusing. But I would be confused it " it " referred to the queries, why not use " they are" instead? (3)By the way , please compare the two ones.
    Glad to hear your teaching.
    Thanks!
    All of that means nothing at all to me.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: it ... when

Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post