Testing Language Myths: swearing/taboo words (Survey)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaomoji

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello,

I am currently studying TESOL linguistics at the University of Utah. One of my professors has asked us to compile and distribute a survey that is composed of a topic of our choice that can test for any kind of language myth or myths. Our group designed a survey so that anyone can take it without skewing the results (i.e. it doesn’t matter if you are a non-native speaker of English, are 6 years old, or have a Ph.D. on the topic). I suggested that an English forum would be one of the best places to post something like this because most of the people here might already have more of an interest in the topic than users in other forums, or at least interest in finding out the results. Please take some time to fill out my survey; it should take approx. 5-10 min.

We are trying to get as many people to fill out the questionnaire online as possible. If you happen to know anyone that could help, please forward them the following link:

Survey:

docs.google(dot)com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dEV0UTlGT2FKTXZVckExanNzdnIxU2c6MQ

Thank you for your help, and I will be happy to post a report on our findings once we are finished.

Regards,

Kaomoji

EDIT BY MODERATOR: Many of the words on this survey will be HIGHLY OFFENSIVE to some people. Please do NOT take this survey if sexually explicit or profane words offend you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I couldn't complete your survey because the question about queer did not include the answer I would have given. I would recommend allowing for people not to answer or including more possibilities.

Kaomoji

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Explanation of problems present in survey

Sorry I forgot to apologize in advance for various problems existing with the survey. I was aware of various problems with the survey before I posed it on this forum. The survey was already posted on other websites, and various people have already been completing it. This survey has already been revised once and honestly I would like to revise it again however, we need to finish the research in less than two weeks, and our group’s members are less than what they should have been (just me and one other person. Other people dropped out of the class). Given time restraints, and lack of people I don’t know if we can afford to revise it and lose all of the replies we have so far.
To compensate for the problem you have addressed, as well as other problems, we will probably omit questions from the spread sheet that had problems for the final analysis. (This is probably the best solution as the survey is slightly longer than it needs to be anyway). At the very least we will account for these problems in the final write up.

For the time being, please select the answer that you would be most inclined to use as a second option if the primary answer is not available for questions that do not have the desired answer available to you.

For questions that you feel could go either way in choice between answers, just pick the first answer that you are compelled to choose even if it’s only a 51% to 49% difference in preference.

Please try not to spend allot of time on the questions. Our goal is a quick reactive response to the questions, not long methodical responses (although this might be difficult for semanticists and the like).

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for understanding.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I've added a warning to your first post. I was taken aback by the vulgarity and closed out of the survey. Others should know this ahead of time.

pandovic

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
I also wouldn't use "queer" in any of those contexts. Good luck with the survey; I didn't find it in the least bit offensive, btw.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Re: Explanation of problems present in survey

I've answered. Some are tricky- lumping parents, teachers and bosses together, for instance.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I've added a warning to your first post. I was taken aback by the vulgarity and closed out of the survey. Others should know this ahead of time.
To be fair, the title to this thread does give an idea of what the survey is about.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I had expected the F word. I never expected the C-word. That's when I shut it down. That's the height of offensiveness for almost every woman I've ever met. Don't want to see it and don't want to talk about how I would (or WOULD NOT EVER) use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.