Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Dear Teachers,

Please tell me if the following three sentences need a bit of polishing up, particularly words in bold.

1. [FONT=&quot]My English friends, on the contrary, would maintain their “British accent” more evidently while in Australia, and that made me wonder if it had anything to do with a desire to proclaim their identity.[/FONT]

2. It is, of course, inevitable for some outsiders to approach the way this group speaks.

3. [FONT=&quot]Consequently, their learning does not only involve issues with linguistics but, in a larger sense, with ever-changing multiple social identities as well.[/FONT]

Note: This post will be deleted shortly after potential answers have been given and received.

Jenny

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Note: This post will be deleted shortly after potential answers have been given and received.
Then I doubt if anybody will respond. We post questions and responses here so that all members have to opportunity to read them.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
would
maintain their “British accent” more evidently

I don't think this works- maintenance is not making something more marked. Also, I see no reason for the inverted commas around British accent.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Dear Teachers,

Please tell me if the following three sentences need a bit of polishing up, particularly words in bold.

1. My English friends, on the contrary, would maintain their “British accent” more evidently while in Australia, and that made me wonder if it had anything to do with a desire to proclaim their identity.

2. It is, of course, inevitable for some outsiders to approach the way this group speaks.

3. Consequently, their learning does not only involve issues with linguistics but, in a larger sense, with ever-changing multiple social identities as well.

Jenny

Just so you know that this is not how forums work.

Jenniferhu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Then I doubt if anybody will respond. We post questions and responses here so that all members have to opportunity to read them.

Well, thanks for reminding me of that, dear 5jj, but this time is ... let's just say different...there won't be any more removals, I promise.;-)

Jenniferhu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I don't think this works- maintenance is not making something more marked. Also, I see no reason for the inverted commas around British accent.

How about forcefully?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
How about would accentuate?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Sounds to much like going to the gym to me. Exaggerate? Their British accents would become more marked?

Jenniferhu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Sounds to much like going to the gym to me. Exaggerate? Their British accents would become more marked?

Have their British accents more marked?

Jenniferhu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

I think it's getting more complicated than necessary. Just came up with this simpler one: would maintain a more pronounced British accent while in Australia. How's that, Tdol?

Status
Not open for further replies.