• Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

• Post Thanks / Like

a northern boy (audio)

northern boy.mp3
    (BBC London; Robert Elms; Elms: Barry Mason, Antiques & Hackney 18th April 2012)

Did he really place his accent by hearing that much (or, to be more precise, that little)?

(And one small additional question if I may - would you be so kind to tell me what exactly he says after '... that you still a northern boy at heart but you've [...]?)

Thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: a northern boy (audio)

Quote Originally Posted by suprunp View Post
    northern boy.mp3Did he really place his accent by hearing that much (or, to be more precise, that little)?
    From the words used, it appears that the second speaker knew that the first originally came from the north. I am not sure that I would have identifiedhim as coming from the north on just one quick listening to that tiny clip, but it's possible. A few seconds more would have confirmed it - and I have the impression that the second speaker may well have heard a few seconds more.
    (And one small additional question if I may - would you be so kind to tell me what exactly he says after '... that you still a northern boy at heart but you've [...]?)
    "... but you've been here a long time, haven't you?"

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: a northern boy (audio)

We don't know how much he's heard. Presumably, he's heard Barry Mason before. (I imagine the preparation a radio presenter does before interviewing a singer involves listening to his records) On the basis only of the words 'Thank you for having me', placing the accent would be quite a feat, especially as the northern speaker has 'been here* a long time, haven't you' (the bit you missed at the end). In the years he's spent in London, his vowels have changed. He even has an // in 'Thank', a long way from the [ɑ] he'd've used in his home town of Chorley (Lancashire).

*As the interview was on BBC Radio London, 'here' obviously means London.

But generally, some people can tell a vast amount from a very small amount of data. The character Professor Higgins (based on the real life phonetician Henry Sweet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) in Shaw's Pygmalion (better known in its reincarnation as the musical My Fair Lady) was known for being to place you on the road where you lived (in a small part of London). More recently, I heard the actor Robert Hardy, in a radio interview, recalling his teacher at Oxford (J.R.R. Tolkien) going round his History of English class and relating a particular feature of the local accent to an aspect of that story - quite a 'party piece'! (I think the interview was on the programme Desert Island Discs - which is all archived somewhere on the BBC website, so if you're** interested....

** Incidentally, your transcription should have had 'you're', not 'you'.

b