Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi,

Which of the following determiners can be placed before both singular count nouns and plural count nouns:

a)Many a
b)The next
c)Such
d)few

This is one question from the test called TEM4, I don't know what it means by "singular count nouns" and "plural count nouns" and the answer I chose was "the next" but the correct answer was "such", can anyone explain?

Thanks a lot

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Count (or countable) nouns are those that can be used in both singular and plural forms, for example, man/men, noun/nouns, book/books. Non-count (or uncountable) nouns do not have plural forms, for example information.

You gave the correct answer; 'such' is not used before a singular noun, unless that noun is preceded by an indefinite article.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Count (or countable) nouns are those that can be used in both singular and plural forms, for example, man/men, noun/nouns, book/books. Non-count (or uncountable) nouns do not have plural forms, for example information.

You gave the correct answer; 'such' is not used before a singular noun, unless that noun is preceded by an indefinite article.

Thanks a lot

So according to the question, the answer is "such", right? Although I still don't understand why.

Status
Not open for further replies.