Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
I am wondering if I can use the word "impregnable" in the following sentences. I would also like to know if the sentences 1, or 3. are restrictive or non-restrictive clauses. I am not sure when it is about these two relative clauses.

1. She was a woman with an impregnable will who fought for human rights all her life.
2. The president believed that his palace was impregnable, which proved wrong when the soldiers attacked it and destroyed.
3. The factory owner was an impregnable person who never made any concessions.

Jenniferhu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Only #3 has the restrictive clause. She is the woman who knows the truth (restrictive); The suspect in the lineup, who owns a red car, committed the crime (non-restrictive). For more info, see Clauses - Restrictive and Nonrestrictive.

I'd use impenetrable in #2. The rest looks good to me.

NOT A TEACHER
Jenny

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
1. She was a woman with an impregnable will who fought for human rights all her life.
2. The president believed that his palace was impregnable, which proved wrong when the soldiers attacked (it) and destroyed it.
3. The factory owner was an impregnable person who never made any concessions.

'Impregnable' sounds unnatural to me in #1. How about 'strong', or 'indomitable'?
It's a very good word for #2
It's wrong in #3. You need 'strong-willed', 'stubborn', 'uncompromising', etc.

Last edited:

Jenniferhu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
'Impregnable' sounds unnatural to me in #1. 'How about strong', or 'indomitable'?
It's a very good wird for #2

This post once again shows that a language sense cannot be acquired just by consulting a dictionary!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
This post once again shows that a language sense cannot be acquired just by consulting a dictionary!

That's why our forum rules include:

Replying in the Ask a Teacher section
You are welcome to reply to any of the questions posted in the Ask a Teacher Forum, even if you are not a teacher. In fact, your answers and contributions are most welcome. However, please ensure you state clearly in your post that you are not teacher,
and forum policies include this:
Please remember, the person whose questions you are answering or whose thread you are contributing ideas to believes the help is coming from a teacher.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
'Impregnable' sounds unnatural to me in #1. 'How about strong', or 'indomitable'?
It's a very good word for #2
I much prefer 'inomitable' for 1. 'Indomitable will' is a very strong collocation. The word indomitable is only followed by a noun 40 times in BNC, but 4 of those wordsare 'will' 1 is 'woman' and 1 is women'. So it seems to me very appropriate here.
1 INDOMITABLE SPIRIT 9
2 INDOMITABLE WILL 4
3 INDOMITABLE COURAGE 2
4 INDOMITABLE WOMEN 1
5 INDOMITABLE WOMAN 1

Read more here: British National Corpus (BYU-BNC).

b

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.