[Idiom] Negligibility expressing idiom in English?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lingustic

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
hi community,

What's idiom in English to express, the following idea:
"The person who is strictly protesting, opposing to some kind of issue or idea, has been disregarded at utmost by the community"

Your helps will be appreciated,

Lingustic

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
thanks for helping, but that doesn't involve any insulting to the opposing person,

he/she should be treated with utmost disregard and humuliation, neglecting the fact, that whteher his/her idea is useful or not.

Regards,

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
[STRIKE]t[/STRIKE] Thanks for helping, but that doesn't involve any insulting to the opposing person,

[STRIKE]h[/STRIKE] He/she should be treated with utmost disregard and humuliation, [STRIKE]neglecting the fact, that[/STRIKE] regardless of whteher his/her idea is useful or not.
You seem to be assuming that English has a word for this. It may have - I can't think of one - but it may not.

pandovic

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
I'd suggest the word ​crackpot

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
People such at the OP described are not necessarily crackpots, people with crazy ideas.

pandovic

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
People such at the OP described are not necessarily crackpots, people with crazy ideas.

Perhaps crank is better. If it's an insulting word or term for someone with strong opinions in disagreement with everyone else, then it's going to have a connotation of craziness. Both crank and crackpot suggest that it's someone with strong ideas, as opposed to simply being mad.

magimagicE

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
UK
I think words borrowed from religious writings might be apt: heretic, zealot, Judas etc.

Other words that I can think of which might help to form the specific idiom that you are looking for include: black sheep, fanatic, radical.

So, this heretic would be putting the cat among pigeons and rocking the boat with his radical ideas.

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"putting the cat among [the] pigeons" must be BrE. I've never heard this idiom before.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I think words borrowed from religious writings might be apt: heretic, zealot, Judas etc.

Other words that I can think of which might help to form the specific idiom that you are looking for include: black sheep, fanatic, radical.

The OP asked about a "person who is strictly protesting, opposing to some kind of issue or idea, has been disregarded at utmost by the community". Such a person might be a zealot, fanatic or radical, but none of these words has any idea of his being disregarded, The other words are too loaded with their own meaning to be applicable here.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

:up: As it happens, Tdol's suggestion is biblical (although the Free Dictionary doesn't mention either Isaiah or John 1:23, and the word 'crying' is crucial to the Biblical quote - and people who use a plain 'voice in the wilderness' probably aren't aware of this).

And isn't 'black sheep' biblical - or is that 'lost'?

b

Esredux

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
thanks for helping, but that doesn't involve any insulting to the opposing person,

he/she should be treated with utmost disregard and humuliation, neglecting the fact, that whteher his/her idea is useful or not.

Regards,

I was thinking of prophet is not without honour save in his own country since the question was about idioms. True, the underlying idea of being insulted and disregarded by the community depends on how well the audience are familiar with the historical background of this idiom. The same could be applied to Tdol's 'a voice in the wilderness'. Apparently, the crucial point about the two idioms is that they both imply the ideas expressed by this person are true, good and useful. In case they are not, Bob's 'lunatic fringe' might seem the closest, but doesn't it primarily mean that the person disregards/violates the norms of the society? Since the idiomatic language is the language of attitudes, could there be the same words/idioms for opposing notions?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
As I said earlier to Linguist, "You seem to be assuming that English has a word for this. It may have - I can't think of one - but it may not."

Eleven posts later, nobody has come up with one yet. It seems to me that Tdol's 'voice in the wilderness' and Esgaleth's 'prophet without honour' come closest.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
And re 'lunatic fringe', perhaps I don't need to point out that it doesn't occur just when the moon is full... :oops:

b

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Since the idiomatic language is the language of attitudes, could there be the same words/idioms for opposing notions?

My thoughts exactly.

Another biblical one. (Not an idiom in English as far as I know.) Says Jeremiah:

Woe is me, my mother, that thou hast borne me a man of strife and a man of contention to the whole earth! I have neither lent on usury, nor men have lent to me on usury; yet every one of them doth curse me.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
How about 'completely ignored tinfoil hats?'

Moonrider

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If I'm getting the point correctly, I can suggest a few more:

Cynic, pessimist .... Gloomy Gus (lol) ... wet blanket, party-pooper .... naysayer... skeptic, scoffer, disparager .....

In an alternative light; outcast (n), pariah ... leper... Scrooge??

:roll:

SlickVic9000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
(Not a Teacher)

'Pariah' may be the closest word for this. It is an outsider who is held in disdain by a society or community. It doesn't give any indication as to the reason for it, though.

You could say something like:
"He is a scientific pariah."
That indicates his ideas are not accepted by the scientific community, perhaps even scoffed at.

Status
Not open for further replies.