English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Are the following sentences acceptable?

1. He has seen through the vanity of life and the world, so he took tonsure and became a Buddhist monk.
2. He has been disillusioned with life in general, so he took tonsureand became a Buddhist monk.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
1. He has seen through the vanity of life and the world, so he took tonsure and became a Buddhist monk.
2. He has been disillusioned with life in general, so he took tonsurespaceand became a Buddhist monk.
Either change the tense of the verbs I've coloured blue to the past simple, or change that of those I've coloured red to the present perfect.

I am not too well acquainted with religious practices, but I don't think that you 'take' tonsure.

Ashiuhto

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
1. He saw through the vanity of life and the world, so he took tonsure and became a Buddhist monk.
2. He was disillusioned with life in general, so he took tonsure and became a Buddhist monk.

robbarron

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Further to other answers, I would link the two clauses by using a participle clause rather than using 'so':

Having seen through the vanity of life and the world, he took tonsure and became a Buddhist monk.
Having become disillusioned with life in general, he took tonsure and became a Buddhist monk.

Whilst not a common collocation, the meaning of 'take tonsure' would be clearly understood - at least by those who know what tonsure is! :-?

Status
Not open for further replies.