Student or Learner
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hello everyone,
She won't have you doing no cooking in here.
She won't wait for no excuses. I read this in a story book. Here, two negatives "won't and no" so,does it mean positive? If it is negative meaning, does it need "no" ?
Thank you.

Jenniferhu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hello everyone,
She won't have you doing no cooking in here. Negative. She can't stand you doing nothing in the kitchen.
She won't wait for no excuses. Negative, same as "She won't wait for any excuses".
Thank you.

Let's see if I'm right or not. ;-)

JH
AN ENGLISH LEARNER

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Only context will tell you whether the first one is 'sub-standard' English. If it is, then the 'no' should be 'any' in standard English.The second would make no sense if it were standard English so, the 'no' should be read as 'any'.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Hello everyone,
Here, two negatives "won't and no" so,does it mean positive?

In colloquial language a double negative is almost always negative. People who say that two negatives must be positive are using a bizarre analogy with multiplying negative numbers:

-2 x -2 = 4
But -2 + -2 = -4

There's no reason to assume that double negatives should follow the rules of multiplication, or any rules of maths, but addition would be more natural IMO. Of a million people saying I ain't got nobody, it would be difficult to find one of them who meant that they were in a relationship. Double negatives as negatives should be avoided in formal language, exams, etc, but to say that they are positive is simply inaccurate IMO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.