Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Dear Experts,

An on-line dictionary I frequently use gives the pronunciation of the word 'carbine' as [ka:bain], in both BrE and AmE versions. However in a number of war movies I could clearly hear the word being pronounced as [ka:bin] or [ka:bi:n].

Which pronunciation is correct then?

Thank you very much in advance,
Tomasz

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I'd use the dictionary pronunciation. (BrE speaker)

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Both. I expect the long vowel is more common today, but speakers of extreme RP use the shorter one. In films about 19th century wars, I'd exzpect the shorter one (I bet they said /'ka:bɪn/ in Zulu.)

b

Tomasz Klimkiewicz

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Your replies, gentlemen, are truly appreciated. I thought that using the on-line Dictionary & Encyclopaedia pronunciation I couldn't go wrong, but it's good to know that both versions have their place in practical English usage.

raindoctor

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Swahili
Home Country
Kenya
Current Location
United States
MW listsboth /ɪi/ and/aɪ/. The latter pronunciation reflects how the Middle English long vowel /i:/ shifted to /aɪ/, thanks to the great vowel shift. That's why you see two pronunciations for many words: for example, route.

Then note the history of carbine, which came from French. Many French words like machine, police, etc, don't have two pronunciations. If you are in Army, where they use this word, just pick up that pronunciation. Otherwise, just predict the pronunciation and use any of these two.

Tomasz Klimkiewicz

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Thank you, raindoctor, for a valuable, informative reply.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I think the final vowel should be /aj/.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Then note the history of carbine, which came from French. Many French words like "machine", "police", etc, don't have two pronunciations. If you are in the Army, where they use this word, just pick up that pronunciation. Otherwise, just predict the pronunciation and use [STRIKE]any[/STRIKE] either of these two.
If you choose one of two pronunciations given in the dictionary, then you are hardly 'predicting' anything.

raindoctor

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Swahili
Home Country
Kenya
Current Location
United States
If you choose one of two pronunciations given in the dictionary, then you are hardly 'predicting' anything.

I am not coming with a deterministic algorithm, but a set of heuristics. You can believe in your hypothesis: insert a smart card dictionary in that brain OR open a dictionary (check with a native speaker, tutor)!

There is a thriving field called Loanword phonology, which refutes naive hypotheses out there. I am not here to convince you, anyway. You can believe whatever you want. What I have done is providing epistemtic warrants to those who are obsessed with acquiring any accent. That's all.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I am not coming with a deterministic algorithm, but a set of heuristics. You can believe in your hypothesis: insert a smart card dictionary in that brain OR open a dictionary
I haven't suggested any hypothesis. I was merely commenting on your use of the word 'predict'.
(check with a native speaker, tutor)!
I frequently do check with other native speakers of BrE and AmE.
What I have done is provid[STRIKE]ing[/STRIKE]e epistemtic warrants to those who are obsessed with acquiring any accent.
Well, I may be a native speaker, but I do not really understand what you mean by that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.