Please help me by correcting these sentences. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

heyuting

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I prefer to read e-book. Because e-book is more convenient than book. For example, if I read "Steve Jobs Biography", I don't have to bring the book to anywhere. What I need to do is to take an ipad, so that I can read any books I like. What's more, e-book is cheaper. If I buy "Steve Jobs Biography" in a book store, I have to spend $35 while I just need to pay $9.9 on the ibook.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I prefer to read e-books because e-books are more convenient than books. For example, if I read [Is this the correct name of the book?] "Steve Jobs Biography", I wouldn't have to bring the book to anywhere. What I need to do is to take an iPad, so that I can read any book I like. What's more, e-books are cheaper. If I buy "Steve Jobs Biography" in a book store, I have to spend $35 while I just need to pay $9.90 for the iBook.

If I were to buy [title] in a book store, I woudl have to by $35, but the iBook is just $9.90.

I'm pretty sure that's not the name of the book.

heyuting

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Actually, the name of the book is "Steve Jobs", but If I say "Steve Jobs", I am afraid that others don't know I am talking about a book.
If I were to buy [title] in a book store, I woudl have to by $35, but the iBook is just $9.90.

heyuting

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
By the way, "I prefer to read e-books because e-books are more convenient than books"
Can I also say "I prefer to read the e-book because the e-book are more convenient than the book"?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Avoid repetition by using a pronoun:

'I prefer to read e-books because they are more convenient than books.'

'I prefer to read an e-book because it is more convenient than a book.'

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Actually, the name of the book is "Steve Jobs", but If I say "Steve Jobs", I am afraid that others don't know I am talking about a book.

Okay, but you can't change the name of a title. You can say "the biography on Steve Job" or you can say "the biography Steve Jobs" or you can pick another book, but you cannot simply change the title of the book.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Heyuting:

May I add my two cents' worth to the excellent answers that you have already received?

I should like to suggest a few tiny changes:

"For example, if I read Steve Jobs, I don't have to carry the book around with me everywhere. All I need is my iPad."

NOTES:

a. I believe that most guides suggest that we italicize (underline) book titles.

b. If, for some reason, you insist on quotation marks, may I remind you that Americans prefer the commas to be within the quotation marks: "For example, if I read "Steve Jobs," I don't ...."

c. I think that writing teachers advise us to be concise and not to insult the intelligence of our readers. I know nothing

(NO THING) about iPads, but I am sure that your other readers do. Therefore, to tell them that you can read any

books on your iPad may slightly offend your readers.

d. I realize that some languages do not pluralize their nouns. Instead of "I love e-books," they just say, "I love

e-book." I am confident that the more you hear and read English, the more you will understand the importance of

plural nouns in English.

HAVE A NICE DAY!

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If I were to buy [title] in a book store, I woudl have to by (I think you mean "pay") $35, but the iBook is just $9.90.

Because "iBooks" can be purchased in book stores, I think it would be necessary to make a distinction between "iBooks" and "hard-copy books".

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I thought you could only download them from the Internet. I didn't know you could buy an iBook at the store.

Status
Not open for further replies.