Question about instructions for a listening comprehension exercise (6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi teachers,
This is for a listening comprehension exercise. If this is what the students will hear: "Alex finished eating and drank some coffee. He began to feel better.", is this a suitable question to ask? Is there a better one, a more challenging one?
Write down what Alex did and his physical state.

Thanks in advance.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
When did Alex feel better? (Alex began to feel better after he ate and drank some coffee.)
What did Alex do before he started to feel better? (He finished eating and drank some coffee.)
Did Alex feel better before he ate something? (No, Alex began to feel better after he finished eating.)
What may have helped Alex feel better? (The food and coffee may have made Alex feel better.)

I don't like the "Write down..." style of questions. Just ask a direct question. You can say add "Make sure your answer is a complete sentence" so they don't just write "finished eating and had some coffee."

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
When did Alex feel better? (Alex began to feel better after he ate and drank some coffee.) I like this one.
What did Alex do before he started to feel better? (He finished eating and drank some coffee.) This one too.
Did Alex feel better before he ate something? (No, Alex began to feel better after he finished eating.) Also this one.
What may have helped Alex feel better? (The food and coffee may have made Alex feel better.) This one is too difficult. My students are low intermediate. All the question I've asked and the ones I will ask are for that level.

I don't like the "Write down..." style of questions. Some teachers do, and some don't. Why is that? Just ask a direct question. You can say add "Make sure your answer is a complete sentence" so they don't just write "finished eating and had some coffee." That's an excellent suggestion!!

Hi Barb_D,
Thank you so much for your help. As usual, you make it more challenging for my students as a listening exercise!!

Best,
L54

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.