Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
The following is from a local newspaper.

Singaraja was placed under arrest and as he appeared intoxicated, he was sent for a blood test. It revealed a blood alcoholism level of 114 mg per 100 ml. He was sacked from his job.

Are the words in bold needed? I guess they are not necessary.

Thanks.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
They are necessary if you wish to convey the message that he was sacked. Being arrested for drunk driving does not lead to automatic dismissal in many jobs.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The following is from a local newspaper.

Singaraja was placed under arrest and, as he appeared intoxicated, he was sent for a blood test. It revealed a blood alcohol[STRIKE]ism[/STRIKE] level of 114 mg per 100 ml. He was sacked from his job.

Are the words in bold needed? I guess they are not necessary.

Thanks.

The words in bold are "from his job". Those, in my opinion, are redundant. "To be sacked" means "to be dismissed from your employment/job" so I don't think you need both. I would probably join the last two parts of the piece together though, to avoid a very terse final sentence: "It revealed a blood alcohol level of 114mg per 100ml and, as a result, he was sacked.

Note that it's the "blood alcohol level/limit" not "alcoholism", which is an illness.

There is another definition of "to be sacked" but it refers to the sport of American Football (gridiron), and I don't think there's any danger of a reader thinking that was the result of being over the blood alcohol limit.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The words in bold are "from his job". Those, in my opinion, are redundant.
You are right. Sorry - I misread the question.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Somehow, I like from his job left in. It makes it clear that it was his day job he was sacked from and not from his position as his church's temperance counsellor or the old folks' minibus driver.

It would have been better if the sentence had read 'He lost his job' or 'His employer sacked him'.

Rover

Status
Not open for further replies.