Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I'm a bit confused by the phrase "pull one's weight'. Could you guys tell me what does it mean?

Does it mean he did a job beyond his capabilities or he did just his share of work? Or it depends on the context?

What does it mean in this sentence?

Wow Ben you really pulled weight in that exam today.

Last edited:

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
I'm a bit confused by the phrase "pull one's weight'. Could you guys tell me what does it mean?
Does it mean he did a job beyond his capabilities or he did just his share of work? Or it depends on the context?

Wow Ben you really pulled weight in that exam today

To "pull one's weight" means to do one's share of the work, to do what is expected of one, especially in a group activity.
"Wow, Ben really pulled (his) weight in that exam today!"
This example, even with the changes I've suggested, isn't natural English unless the exam was a group activity that required Ben to do his part.

not a teacher

michael147

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

Wow Ben you really pulled weight in that exam today

To "pull one's weight" means to do one's share of the work, to do what is expected of one, especially in a group activity.
"Wow, Ben really pulled (his) weight in that exam today!"
This example, even with the changes I've suggested, isn't natural English unless the exam was a group activity that required Ben to do his part.

not a teacher

So it means both 'to do one's share of the work' and 'to do what is expected of one'? Because 'do one's share of the work' does not mean 'do what is expected of one', right?

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
So it means both 'to do one's share of the work' and 'to do what is expected of one'? Because 'do one's share of the work' does not mean 'do what is expected of one', right?

Sorry if I confused you, michael. I'm saying that it doesn't necessarily only refer to doing one's share of physical work, but can have a more general application. If you are making, for example, the financial contribution that's expected of you to a group project of some sort, you can also be said to be "pulling your weight".

michael147

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

Sorry if I confused you, michael. I'm saying that it doesn't necessarily only refer to doing one's share of physical work, but can have a more general application. If you are making, for example, the financial contribution that's expected of you to a group project of some sort, you can also be said to be "pulling your weight".

OIC. Thank you so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.