Is there difference between "HAVE" and "GOT" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dj_dipuu

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Punjabi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
There is a subtle doubt in my mind regarding this question... like we say 1) I have a cold Is it correct form of tense ? or should we say " I got a cold". same way 1) I have hiccups or I got hiccups ? Please clarify if you know the difference. Just a simple question. Thanks in advance Regards DJ

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If you are describing your present state of health, you can say 'I have a cold' or 'I have (/'ve) got a cold'.

If you are describing the past onset of a cold, you can say 'I caught a cold' or, possibly, 'I got a cold'.

dj_dipuu

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Punjabi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Ok fine thanks for it. I also agree with you. But one of my friend told me that it is INDIANISM to use " I have a cold" . where are you from ?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Ok fine thanks for it. I also agree with you. But one of my friends told me that it is INDIANISM to use " I have a cold" . where are you from ?
It's perfectly acceptable BrE. You can find out where members are from by clicking on 'Member Info' below their usernames.

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Ok fine thanks for it. I also agree with you. But one of my friend told me that it is INDIANISM to use " I have a cold" . where are you from ?

Your friend is wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.