Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I don't understand the following in red. What is it saying?

Steve Jobs tried to connect with the influential ones... Steve called the Daily Show's Jon Stewart when he thought a thought a joke was funny or offensive, and he e-mailed the political satirist Stephen Colbert after he unsheathed an iPad from his jacket pocket at the Grammy Awards---making him one of the first to publicly show one after Steve. The subject line of that e-mail read "Last Night," and the body said only, "Sweet! Thanks!"

Thank you.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The taking out of the iPad from his pocket made Stephen Colbert one of the first (after Steve Jobs - who had presumably already done this) to publicly show an iPad.

unpakwon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thank you for the answer.

In "the taking out of the iPad from his pocket...", who does "his" refer to, Steve or Stephen Colbert? I thought it is Steve, but I'm being confused. Maybe I don't understand how "taking out of the iPad from his pocket" could make Stephen one of the first to publicly show an iPad.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Stephen Colbert took his iPad from his pocket in front of the TV cameras. Until that time, vey few people had shown their iPads in public.

unpakwon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Status
Not open for further replies.