Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Dear Sir/Madam,

I have question about why we need learn/know about strong and weak Syllables?
What is the advantages or necessary

Hopefully can get answer from you

Thank you and Best Regards,
Echay

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Welcome to the forum, Echay,:hi:and congratulations on giving your thread a great title. Many regular posters fail to do this.

The software of the forum has researched this title and recognised that some Similar Threads have already been asked and answered.

They are shown below. You can ask again if there is anything you don't understand.

Rover

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Dear Sir/Madam,

I have question about why we need learn/know about strong and weak Syllables?

Hopefully can get answer from you

Thank you and Best Regards,
Echay

Welcome to the forums, Echay. If you scroll down to the bottom of the page, you will see that your excellent thread title has generated several threads on this subject.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up:
Dear Sir/Madam,

I have a question about why we need learn/know about strong and weak Syllables?

...but the short answer is: using strong and weak syllables is what we do in speech. So until you learn/know about them you are bound to sound foreign (and in some cases your meaning will be unclear and/or wrong).

b

PS Incidentally, when correcting your mistake, a teacher would stress the a: 'You mean you have a question...' But this stress is just for contrast - emphasizing the word you omitted. If you had got it right in the first place ('I have a question...'), the 'a' would be weak: /aɪ hæv ǝ kwesʧǝn/ ;-) (If you said /aɪ hæv eɪ kwesʧǝn/ your meaning would be different - depending on context. For example, it could mean 'There's something I want to ask, but don't worry - it's only a single question' or 'There are lots of things that I find confusing, but I can only think of one of them at the moment' (a meaning I often use in my Tai Chi lessons ;-))... or many other meanings.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.