Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. tzfujimino's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Dec 2007
    • Posts: 2,699
    #1

    Hi!

    It's been a long time since I last visited here.
    Is everybody O.K?

    Well, today I have a question about the Participial Construction.
    I'd be very happy if I could get some ideas from native speakers.

    1. I went into the garden, playing with my dog there. (meaning I went into the garden, and played with my dog there.)
    2. I studied the Participial Construction, going to bed.(meaning I studied the Participial Construction, and I went to bed.)

    Are these sentences above acceptable?
    I personally find them a little strange.

    Instead of these two, I'd say(write):

    1' Going into the garden, I played with my dog there.
    2' Studying(Having studied) the Participial Construction, I went to bed.

    Please give me your comments.

    Thank you in advance.

  2. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #2

    Re: Hi!

    Welcome back, tzfujimino.

    Please remember to give your threads helpful titles.
    Quote Originally Posted by tzfujimino View Post

    1. I went into the garden, playing with my dog there.
    2. I studied the Participial Construction, going to bed.

    #1 is possible, if rather formal. The word 'there' is essential. #2 is not possible, though if you added something like 'at midnight' at the end it would be.
    .


    Instead of these two, I'd say(write):

    1' Going into the garden, I played with my dog there.
    2' StudyingHaving studied the Participial Construction, I went to bed.

    These are possible.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 6,332
    #3

    Re: Hi!

    ***** NOT A TEACHER *****

    Hello and welcome back. You are a more senior member than I.

    I have the confidence to address only one of your sentences:

    The correct one, I feel, is "Having studied participial constructions, I went to bed."

    That is, I studied until 9 p.m. Then I went to bed.

    *****

    I believe that "Studying participial constructions, I went to bed" is (may I be honest?) rather humorous. It means that while

    you were walking to your bed you also at the same time were studying participial constructions.

  3. tzfujimino's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Dec 2007
    • Posts: 2,699
    #4

    Re: Hi!

    Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    Welcome back, tzfujimino.

    Please remember to give your threads helpful titles.

    Thank you for your prompt reply.
    You've been a great help!
    And...I'm really sorry about the title.

  4. tzfujimino's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Dec 2007
    • Posts: 2,699
    #5

    Re: Hi!

    Quote Originally Posted by TheParser View Post
    ***** NOT A TEACHER *****

    Hello and welcome back. You are a more senior member than I.

    I have the confidence to address only one of your sentences:

    The correct one, I feel, is "Having studied participial constructions, I went to bed."

    That is, I studied until 9 p.m. Then I went to bed.

    *****

    I believe that "Studying participial constructions, I went to bed" is (may I be honest?) rather humorous. It means that while

    you were walking to your bed you also at the same time were studying participial constructions.
    Thank you for your comments, TheParser.
    And...it's nice to see you!

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 24,515
    #6

    Re: Hi!

    Quote Originally Posted by tzfujimino View Post
    And...I'm really sorry about the title.
    Is that the reason for your hangdog expression?

    Rover

  5. tzfujimino's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Dec 2007
    • Posts: 2,699
    #7

    Re: Hi!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover_KE View Post
    Is that the reason for your hangdog expression?

    Rover
    Hi, Rover!
    It's nice to see you!
    Yes, I shoud have made my questions clear in the title.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •