• Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Portugal
      • Current Location:
      • Portugal

Question I am ... and (I) am?

Hello!
    In a sentence like: "I'm starting cooking lessons next week and (I) am looking forward to it!" what's the correct form? do you emphasize "...and Iam looking forward to it" or can we omit the "I"? I've lookd up on the internet for an explanation and both forms appear.
    Thank you very much.
    Sílvia

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: I am ... and (I) am?

Welcome to the forum, Silvia.

Congratulations on starting with a useful thread title. Some people take rather a long time to manage that.

Your sentence is fine with or without the second I. If you do have it, then the am will usually be shortened to 'm. If you omit it, then we must have am in full.
    Last edited by 5jj; 02-May-2012 at 18:50.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: I am ... and (I) am?

Quote Originally Posted by Sílvia Azevedo View Post
    I've looked up on the internet for an explanation and ...
    This message is for other members; Silvia clearly doesn't need it.

We at UsingEnglish.com can often help when the answer to a question is in doubt.

However, those of us who answer questions do so in our spare time, and you sometimes have to wait for an answer if we are not online. If you just want to know the meaning of a word, you can usually find an instant answer here: OneLook: General dictionary sites. There is also a lot of useful information here: English Language Articles and Reports - UsingEnglish.com.

If you do post a question here, scroll down to the bottom of the page. If you have given your thread a useful title that tells us what it's about, as Silvia did, you may find the question has already been answered - have a look at the Similar Threads if any are listed. (As it happens, there aren't any for this particular question.)