'Fear Of Music' remains among the best albums ever for many music fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark_000

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi,
I came across a question when I looked up the dictionary to find the way how to use "ever"
Of one item is "You use ever after comparatives and superlatives to emphasize the degree to which something is true or when you are comparing a present situation with the past or the future."
Here is one example following this item "'Fear Of Music' remains among the best albums ever for many music fans." This sentence is translated into my language that 'Fear Of Music' remained the one of the best alums for many music fans. Does "ever" have a meaning of "one of...." ?
If so, can I use "ever" this way? Would it confuse you?

eg:This book is one of the most interesting book I have read
This book is the most interesting book I have ever read
Looking forward your reply.:-?

Thanks a lot.
Mark

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
Hi,
I came across a question when I looked up the dictionary to find the way how to use "ever"
Of one item is "You use ever after comparatives and superlatives to emphasize the degree to which something is true or when you are comparing a present situation with the past or the future."
Here is one example following this item "'Fear Of Music' remains among the best albums ever for many music fans." This sentence is translated into my language that 'Fear Of Music' remained the one of the best alums for many music fans. Does "ever" have a meaning of "one of...." ?
If so, can I use "ever" this way? Would it confuse you?

Does "ever" have a meaning of "one of...." ?
No, it is the phrase "among the best" that translates as "one of the best".

In your example, "ever" means "of all time". So, "Fear Of Music remains one of the best albums of all time for many music fans".

not a teacher
PS: I also think it's a great album.

Status
Not open for further replies.