Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I think 2 definitely has the same meaning, but I doubt if 1 can also be a candidate. Does 1 only have the meaning of "perceive" or can both 1 and 2 be the answers?

go2 5-2 4
Q. Choose the one which has the same usage as the underlined in the paragraph. - A:2
1.He has noticed the book favorably.
2.It took officials two days to notice their error and remove the document.
3.He was noticed to quit.

ex)In 1173, town officials chose a spot to build the tower. Only five years after work began, the tower began to lean to the north. This was first noticed during the construction of the third floor...

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Only 2 is correct. 1 doesn't seem like correct English to me. I don't think you can notice something favorably.

FreeToyInside

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
China
Are you asking which of these uses of "notice" has the same meaning as in your example text?

Sentence 3 can use the word notice, but you would need to reword it to not be passive, like "everybody in the office noticed that he quit." or something like that.

mayita1usa

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Q. Choose the one which has the same usage as the underlined in the paragraph. - A:2
1.He has noticed the book favorably.
2.It took officials two days to notice their error and remove the document.
3.He was noticed to quit.

ex)In 1173, town officials chose a spot to build the tower. Only five years after work began, the tower began to lean to the north. This was first noticed during the construction of the third floor...
Hi, Keannu! :) As you said, #2 is definitely the correct choice.

I think #1 is just a slight misuse of the word, in order to confuse you: The book received favorable notices. (In AmE this means The book was reviewed favorably.)

As for #3, I wonder if they weren't trying to trick you again, since the expression "to give notice" does mean to quit a job... As it is, the sentence makes no sense to me; I suppose one could say, He was noticed to have quit, with the meaning that people noticed he had quit at some previous time, but I don't think many native speakers would ever do this! ;-)

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
For (1): "He has noted the book favourably" is the nearest possibility, using "note" in the sense of referring to or drawing attention to something. For example: "Although the critic has not written a full review of the book, he has noted it favourably a couple of times in other articles".

not a teacher

Status
Not open for further replies.