Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
1.I have thought that "as" as a preposition always means "as the title" like "He met Obama as the representative of Korea", but it means "When (they are) babies" as a conjunction. So is this a special and exceptional usage of a conjuntion even though it is a preposition?
2. Does "coo" by babies mean "softly speak" or what else?

is26
ex)There is no one who has not witnessed the remarkable ability of children to communicate. As small babies, children babble, coo and cry and vocally or nonvocally send an extraordinary number of messages...

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It means "when children are small babies." "To coo" is to make sounds as an infant does. It's not exactly speaking, it's just making pleasant noises.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
For this kind of construction, we frequently use "As + indefinite article + singular noun" or "As + plural noun" to mean "When I was/he was/they were ..."

As a child, I fell out of trees a lot.
As a kitten, my cat was completely black but now she has white paws.
As children, my cousins used to torment me for hours.
As seedlings, tarragon plants are bright green but when they mature, they turn very pale.
As a student, Picasso hated art classes.

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
For this kind of construction, we frequently use "As + indefinite article + singular noun" or "As + plural noun" to mean "When I was/he was/they were ..."

As a child, I fell out of trees a lot.
As a kitten, my cat was completely black but now she has white paws.
As children, my cousins used to torment me for hours.
As seedlings, tarragon plants are bright green but when they mature, they turn very pale.
As a student, Picasso hated art classes.
:up: But, as emsr2d2 knows but keannu may not, 'As + indefinite article + singular noun' can be used in a construction that has nothing to do with the passing of time. 'As a teacher, I try to be alive to possibly confusing constructions' ;-)

b

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thanks, but what's the difference between babble and coo? They seem to be translated in a similar way. I think "babbling" sounds like some words that babies may have a meaning for themselves, but not for adults. and "coo" is beyond my imagination.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The words are practically onomatopoeic. Babbling babies are staccato, using consonants in an imitation of speech. Cooing is like the sound of a dove. It's all vowels.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thanks a lot! If it's a present form, is it dubious? I have never seen any present form of "as" to mean a period.
ex) As a student, Picasso fights for his country's independence.
= When he is a student(x) = With the qualification of being a student(O)
So I think this rule applies only to the past, right?

What about this? Does it mean qualification or period? Or does it depend on context?
ex)As a student, Picasso fought for his country's independence.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks a lot! If it's a present form, is it dubious? I have never seen any present form of "as" to mean a period.

ex) As a student, Picasso fights for his country's independence = Because he is a student, Picasso fights for his country's independence. The implication here is that he is fighting for independence because he is a student, presumably because many other students are also supporting a fight for independence.So I think this rule applies only to the past, right? If you want it to mean "when" then yes, it really only works in the past as in your next example.
What about this? Does it mean qualification or period? Or does it depend on context?
ex) As a student, Picasso fought for his country's independence = When he was a student, Picasso fought for his country's independence.

See above.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Can't say I agree here.
ex) As a student, Picasso fights for his country's independence.
= When he is a student(x) = With the qualification of being a student(O)
So I think this rule applies only to the past, right?
The first example may be using the historic present, as in '1066. Harold and his troops are at top of a hill near Rye. William's vastly superior troops launch attack after attack, but don't win any ground until some of Harold's men break ranks and give chase to some retreating French attackers. Suddenly, after trying all day, William has an advantage...'

We need more context to know whether the 'As...fights' sentence means 'Since he is [at present] a student' or whether the sentence is using a historic present.

b

Last edited:

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea

ex)As a student, Picasso fights for his country's independence

I treated this example as "qualification" like the following examples, but when "as" appears in the beginning of a sentence, it doesn't seem to have such a meaning. Okay, I got it!

ex)She
works as a courier. Treat me as a friend. I respect him as a doctor

Status
Not open for further replies.