Student or Learner
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Germany
Dear all,
I am Greek (and really proud to be) living and working outside Greece (actually in some other European country) and the number of insulting verbal attacks (against me and my country) has increased lately. Although I understand most of the time the others arguments against my county, I do not agree the way this is expressed + the generalization of everything (other believe to be) Greek on me.

Most of the times (well this is also cultural) the comments can be completely demeaning, insulting, discriminative and sometimes even racist.

I would like to have a formal way, keeping my respect to others at the same time, to make them understand that what they have said was interpreted as an insult by me.

What do you think a formal way to reply back kindly to such comments? If possible please give some alternatives from lighter ones to strongest replies, so to be able to use one depending on the situation.

I would like to thank you all.
B.R
Alex

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
In the English-language media, I have read and heard stuff that has moved away from arguing issues and is at times abusive and ugly. If someone makes a sweeping generalisation about Greeks, simply asking 'All of them?' or something similar might make the person stop and think. You could suggest that their argument would be more effective if they kept it to criticism and left the abuse out. Ask them if they'd feel comfortable saying the same things with different peoples/ethnicities/religions.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I would like to have a formal way, keeping my respect to others at the same time, to make them understand that what they have said was interpreted as an insult by me.

What do you think a formal way to reply back kindly to such comments?
Your restraint is impressive.

If people made the sort of remarks you mentioned about any country, but especially my country of origin or present home, I should not have any respect to keep, and I certainly should not feel any desire to reply kindly.

Status
Not open for further replies.